real-time news and commentary for investors
Tuesday, Oct 15
Twitter updates S-1, reports strong Q3 sales growth
- In addition to disclosing it's listing on the NYSE, Twitter (TWTR) has updated its S-1 to account for its Q3 results.
- Twitter had Q3 revenue of $168.6M, and a non-GAAP net loss of $17.2M. The top-line figure represents 105% Y/Y rev. growth, nearly even with 1H's 107% growth; the net loss figure compares with a 1H level of $44.1M. GAAP net loss, which includes major stock compensation expenses, has amounted to $133.8M YTD.
- Monthly active users (MAUs) totaled 231.7M at the end of Q3, +6% Q/Q and +39% Y/Y. 44% Y/Y MAU growth was seen in Q2. U.S. MAUs +30% to 52.7M, international MAUs +41% to 179M.
- Timeline views +5% Q/Q and +50% Y/Y to 158.8M. That's a slowdown from Q2's 69% growth. There were 685 timeline views per MAU, +8% Y/Y but -1% Q/Q with slight declines in both U.S. and international levels.
- Monetization continues to improve: ad revenue per 1K timeline views was $0.97, up from Q2's $0.80 and the year-ago period's $0.65. But the gap between the U.S. figure ($2.58, up from $2.17 in Q2) and the international figure ($0.36, up from $0.30 in Q2) remains huge.
- 70% of ad revenue came from mobile, up from 65% in Q2. 76% of MAUs used mobile devices to access Twitter vs. 75% in Q2.
- Publicly-traded Twitter shareholders: GSVC, SVVC