real-time news and commentary for investors
Thursday, Oct 17
Boeing eyes Latin America orders; new 747s suffer ice problem
- Boeing (BA) believes that Latin American countries other than Brazil could order over $10B worth of space and defense equipment over the next few years, company executive Roberto Valla has said.
- Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Peru have the biggest needs and will drive demand.
- In addition, Boeing could join up with Textron's (TXT) Bell Helicopter business to make a proposal for an upcoming Canadian tender for search-and-rescue equipment.
- Meanwhile, the new generation of Boeing 747 planes are suffering from ice accumulation in engines
- Boeing is working with GE (GE), which makes the engines, to prevent the build and thereby avert a malfunction.