real-time news and commentary for investors
Sunday, Oct 20
Italian court bans Berlusconi from holding office for two years
- Markets in Italy will be on watch tomorrow after a court in Milan banned former Prime Silvio Berlusconi from holding public office for two years following his conviction for tax fraud in August.
- The country's Senate has to approve the decision - if it did so, Berlusconi would be expelled for six years - while he is also expected to appeal.
- Earlier this month, Berlusconi tried to bring down the government over the issue, which has caused ructions in the markets, but the strategy failed.
- The question now is whether he will try to use the threat of further political instability to pressure the Senate to allow him to stay.
- ETFs - Stocks: EWI. Bonds: ITLT, ITLY