real-time news and commentary for investors
Monday, Oct 21
Asian, U.S. equities higher, Europe mixed
- Asian shares and U.S. stock futures rise, while European equities are mixed ahead of a busy week for U.S. economic data following the re-opening of the government, including home sales today and the delayed nonfarm payrolls report tomorrow.
- "The market's just in a wait-and-see mode," says analyst Ric Spooner. "The thing on most traders' minds is what sort of story is going to be told by the U.S. data now that it's going to be released again."
- China rises 1.6% after the State Council pressed the need for continued reform.
- Japan +0.9%, Hong Kong +0.4%, India -0.4%.
- EU Stoxx 50 -0.1%, London +0.3%, Paris -0.3%, Frankfurt flat, Milan -0.4%, Madrid -0.2%.
- U.S. Stock futures: Dow +0.1%. S&P +0.05%. Nasdaq +0.2%