real-time news and commentary for investors
Monday, Oct 21
Stocks end mixed in lackluster trading ahead of jobs report
- The major stock indexes finished mixed after trading within tight ranges, as investors were reluctant to make bets ahead of the September government jobs report to be issued tomorrow.
- The tech-heavy Nasdaq displayed relative strength with its top component, Apple (+2.5%), providing support ahead of tomorrow's product refresh event.
- Earnings have recaptured center stage, but after some hits and some misses so far, companies in the S&P 500 are on track for Q3 earnings growth of just 1% from last year.
- Treasurys fell ahead of tomorrow's labor data, as the benchmark 10-year yield rose 2.5 bps to 2.608%.
- Crude oil futures settled below $100/bbl, their lowest level since early July, after data data showed U.S. stockpiles of rose more than expected.