real-time news and commentary for investors
Tuesday, Oct 22
Nokia introduces first tablet and phablets
- Nokia (NOK) has unveiled its first tablet and two large-screen smartphones, or phablets, in what is set to be its last major event before Microsoft (MSFT) completes its takeover of the Finnish company's handset division.
- The Lumia 2520 tablet uses Microsoft's Windows 8.1 RT operating system, and has a 10.1 inch screen, 4G LTE capability and 1080p HD resolution. Nokia is due to start selling the device by the end of the year in the U.S., U.K., and Finland for $500.
- The Lumia 1520 and 1320 handsets feature 6 inch displays, with the higher-end 1520 also containing four microphones.
- Other features include the ability to change the focus of different objects in a photo after it's taken, and a Beamer app that enables the phones to stream the contents of their screens to a separate display.
- Nokia has also introduced three new low-end Asha phones.
- Nokia shares -0.95% in Helsinki. Live blog.