real-time news and commentary for investors
Wednesday, Oct 23
Futures slide as world markets tumble
- Stock index futures slide about 0.5% as world markets slump over worries of tighter Chinese monetary policy. Shanghai dipped 1.3% amid a jump of 47 basis points in the seven-day repurchase rate to 4.05%. Japan tumbled 1.95%.
- The averages are set to move, but the action is going to be in individual stocks as earnings really start to fly in.
- Europe's off 1%, but the periphery is worse, with Spain -2%, and Italy -1.8%.
- Treasury yields continue to plumb new multi-month lows, the 10-year now down to 2.50%.
- Index ETFs: IVV, SPY, VOO, RWL, SFLA, SSO, UPRO, SDS, SPXU, SH, EPS, RSP, BXUB, BXUC, BXDB, DIA, DDM, UDOW, DXD, SDOW, DOG, QQQ, QQEW, TQQQ, QID, SQQQ, PSQ, QLD, QQQE.