real-time news and commentary for investors
Friday, Oct 25
Samsung net profit surges 25%
- Samsung's (SSNLF, SSNGY) Q3 net profit, excluding minority interest, jumped 25% to 8.05T won ($7.76B), above forecasts of 7.94T won.
- Sales climbed 13.2% to 59T won.
- Operating profit +26% to 10.16T won, but that represents a slowdown from 47.5% growth in Q2.
- Operating profit at the mobile unit rose 19% to 6.7T won, with smartphone shipments climbing in the "mid-10% range" and tablet sales in the "mid-20%" range.
- Operating profit at the chip division more than doubled to a three-year high of 2.06T won, boosted by stronger chip prices and tighter supply
- Income at the consumer-electronics division dropped to 3450B won from 400B won, while earnings at the display division fell to 980B won from 1.17T.
- Samsung expects an extra $1.5T won ($1.4B) payment from Corning (GLW) after the latter agreed to acquire the South Korean company's display unit out of their LCD glass joint venture.
- Samsung's shares -0.2% in Seoul. (PR)