real-time news and commentary for investors
Friday, Oct 25
Studios, broadcasters, and Netflix in tangled web
- A growing number of networks are reportedly saying they won't buy new shows from TV studios unless they can retain the streaming rights until the current season ends.
- FX and Turner are two of the networks which have drawn a line in the sand, according to Vulture.
- The actions from the networks are a calculated shot at Netflix (NFLX -1%) which has disrupted the ad model by striking lucrative deals with studios for early looks at TV shows.
- It's put pure heroin into the veins of studio executives," laments one network exec.
- Related stocks: CBS, DIS, AMCX, VIAB, TWX, CMCSA, FOXA.