real-time news and commentary for investors
Sunday, Oct 27
Winners, losers, and trends to watch in retail
- Economists forecast a delayed report on September retail sales will show no change in purchases as spending on automobiles stalled just a bit during the month amid federal shutdown concerns.
- Though there has been a cautionary tone from analysts on retail all-stars such as Home Depot (HD), Lowe's (LOW), Gap (GPS), and Macy's (M) - retail sales ex-auto are pegged to poke out a 0.4% gain during September as some sectors have held up.
- Looking ahead, a report from Deloitte suggests that retailers with solid 'buy online and pick up in store' programs could resonate with consumers this holiday season. Target (TGT), Wal-Mart (WMT), Best Buy (BBY), and Staples (SPLS) come to mind.
- Previous: October U.S. Auto Sales preview
- Related ETFs: XRT, PMR, RTH, VDC.