real-time news and commentary for investors
Wednesday, Oct 30
World shares rise ahead of FOMC announcement
- Global equity markets are higher ahead of a FOMC policy announcement later today, when the Fed is expected to say that it's going to keep the money printing presses ramped up.
- However, the gains could be leaving markets open to a surprise.
- "If the Fed does nothing...then nothing really happens," says analyst Patrick Perret-Green. "But if they do something, or even hint at moves in the not too distant future, the effects could be dramatic.
- Japan +1.2%, Hong Kong +2%, China +1.55%, India +0.5%.
- EU Stoxx 50 +0.5%, London +0.6%, Paris +0.5%, Frankfurt +0.4%, Milan +0.9%, Madrid +0.9%.
- U.S. Stock futures: Dow +0.3%. S&P +0.3%. Nasdaq +0.4%