real-time news and commentary for investors
Wednesday, Oct 30
Continued taper delay not enough for bond buyers
- Notably missing from this meeting's statement is September's reference to concern over tightening financial conditions.
- Notably added is a note about the slowdown in the housing sector in recent months.
- Other than those two lines, today's statement is a near-carbon copy of September's. As usual, the K.C. Fed's Esther George dissented over worry the Fed's actions are fueling imbalances which could lead to the next bust.
- WSJ's statement tracker.
- Stock's remain little-changed, but Treasurys have given up their gains to turn lower, with the 10-year yield - as low as 2.48% earlier - now back to 2.53%. Perhaps the bond bulls wanted the Fed to acknowledge the softness of recent economic data. TLT -0.5%. TBT +1.1%.
- Related ETFs: TLH, TLT, IEF, DTYL, DLBL, ILTB, TENZ, ITE, TLO, EDV, VGIT, VGLT, TMF, TYD, LBND, UBT, UST, TMV, TYO, SBND, PST, TBT, DTYS, DLBS, TBF, TTT, TYNS, TYBS, TBX.