Monday, September 26, 2011 Stock Market Performance
|Includes:EDU, GLD, NTES, QQQ, SLV, SMH, SOX, SPDR S&P 500 Trust ETF (SPY), TIP, TLT, USO, UUP, XLF, XLI, XLP, XLU, XLY
- Stocks bounced between gains and losses early in today's session but by the close the major indexes rose at least 1.4% each.
- SP 500 $SPX $SPY support/resistance moved up from 1,130 to 1,154 and 1,150 to 1,165.
- Support/resistance on the Nasdaq Composite $COMPX $QQQ rose to 2,483 from 2,470 and 2,536 from 2,483.
- Semiconductor Index $SOX $SMH lagged down 0.1%.
- All nine sectors were higher with only four higher on moderately above average volume.
- Financials $XLF led with a 4.5% but volume was below average.
- Utilities $XLU on below average volume lagged up 0.8%.
- Oil $USO was up 1.2% on below average volume.
- Gold $GLD was down again but finished in the upper end of its intra-day trading range down 1.4% on heavy volume.
- Silver $SLV down 0.7% but finished near its session highs on heavy volume.
- US Dollar $UUP was down 0.1% closing near session lows on heavy volume.
- Bonds $TLT and Treasury Inflation Protected Securities $TIP declined 1.5% and 0.5% on below average volume.
- $NTES was down 6% on moderately heavier volume.
- $EDU fell 1.4% on below average volume.
- Based on stocks I follow the stock market direction is bearish and has been active 1 trading session.
- The stock market direction has ranged b/t neutral and bearish territory recently with three sessions neutral the three sessions bearish.
- $XLY closed open gap down to $36.29.
- $XLP closed open gap down to $30.01.
- $XLF closed open gap down to $11.90.
- $XLI closed open gap down to $30.11 but closed below it.
- $XLU closed open gap down to $33.65.