This is a great country
When a politician or bureaucrat says he is promoting something, it often means he wants to shut it down. The following is taken (copied) from the current news letter of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). Hopefully the only result will be a waste of our tax money, however, it does present an exposure to unnecessary regulation.
(Excerpted from ASME Newsletter)
"On April 13th, President Obama announced the formation of a new interagency working group to promote the safe development of domestic natural gas. The Interagency Working Group to Support Safe and Responsible Development of Unconventional Domestic Natural Gas Resources (Working Group) will be chaired by the Director of the Domestic Policy Council. In addition to the Chair, the Working Group shall include deputy-level representatives or equivalent officials from: the Departments of Defense, Interior, Agriculture, Commerce, Health and Human Services, Transportation, Energy and Homeland Security; Environmental Protection Agency; Council on Environmental Quality; Office of Science and Technology Policy; Office of Management and Budget; and, National Economic Council.
The Working Group will support the safe and responsible production of domestic unconventional natural gas by:
- Coordinating agency policy activities, ensuring their efficient and effective operation and facilitating cooperation among agencies;
- Coordinating among agencies the sharing of scientific, environmental, and related technical and economic information;
- Engaging in long-term planning and ensure coordination among the appropriate Federal entities with respect to such issues as research, natural resource assessment, and the development of infrastructure;
- Promote interagency communication with stakeholders; and,
- Consulting with other agencies and offices as appropriate. "
Note that the working group is charged with supporting the ....production of natural gas. We surely need it.
Looks like 13 high level bureaucrats are going to preside over nat gas production. This in addition to EPA, DOE, DOT, FERC(?), and all of the state regulatory agencies.
It seems we may have found a way to control or stop natural gas production, so the price will rise, and foreign oil will continue to flow.
When a politician or bureaucrat says he is promoting something, it often means he wants to shut it down. Hopefully this time it will be different.