The North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA) was formed in 1919 and is comprised of the state securities regulators.
NASAA has issued a warning to investors regarding oil & gas scams. Here is a link to the entire article.
Every investor contemplating an investment in an oil and gas limited partnership, private placement offering, Reg D offering or other form of entity should take the time to read the article.
From that article, here are some of the misrepresentations investors should be aware of in the high pressured sales pitch that many promoters use when cold calling or sending unsolicited emails:
- you will have an interest in a well that cannot miss
- the risks are minimal
- a geologist has given the sales person a tip
- the salesperson has personally invested in the venture
- the promoter has a "hit" on every well drilled so far
- there has been a tremendous "discovery" in adjacent field
- a large, reputable oil company is operating or planning to operate in the area
- only a few interests remain to be sold and you should immediately send in your money in order to assure the purchase of an interest
- this is a special private deal open only to a lucky chosen few investors
Oil & gas private placements are extremely speculative in nature. The risk associated with these investments is only suitable for those individuals who understand and are financially capable of taking the risk inherent to these products. If you were sold an oil & gas investment based upon misrepresentations, such as the inaccurate representation of the production of wells in the target area, or if this type of investment is unsuitable for a person your age and profile, you may be able to recover all or a part of your losses through FINRA arbitration.
Please read the NASAA warning linked above before parting with your hard earned dollars.
If you have questions about losses on oil & gas investments or other stock market losses call to speak with an experienced securities attorney.
561 391 1900
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.