The technical information on this technological breakthrough is very scarce at the moment. This development can provide the necessary transition to the mass market for the electric cars. Question will be whether lithium batteries can sustain this kind of rapid charging without deterioration of their capacity and safety.
In any case we have the very promising news from Nissan and this is the example of technological advance in the electric space. Once we can elevate our problem with Peak Oil and pollution on the technological level, progress can exceed the most advanced expectations.
If billions of dollars were not spent in order to stop the alternative technology and endless wars to protect the Oil supply lines, but to advance even the existing technology of electric cars and lithium batteries we can achieve the energy transition within next few years.
"We need the Manhattan project for the Electric Cars in our broken society and we need it right now - who can lead the world into the future?
Electric Cars industry gives Trillion market place business opportunity to fill. And we will throw again as with Apple iCar - Why Not?"
And guess what - China is already all over it now:
Lithium Charge: CCID Consulting Releases the White Paper for Mapping of China’s Lithium Ion Industry (2011)
Current charge times take up to eight hours for most electric vehicles
Monday, October 10th 2011, 10:16 AM
Charging an electric car may soon be as quick and easy as refueling at the pump.
Nissan, in conjunction with Japan's Kansai Nniversity, says it has created the necessary technology to charge the batteries needed by vehicles such as the Nissan Leaf and Mitsubishi iMiEV in a record time of ten minutes.
The findings, reported by Nikkei news agency last week, could represent a huge leap forward in public acceptance of electric vehicles, hindered to date by sluggish charge times -- a full charge of common EVs today can take up to eight hours.
The breakthrough reportedly came by changing the electrode inside a capacitor from carbon to tungsten oxide and vanadium oxide to improve power, reports Asean Automotive News.
Batteries charged using the updated system were complete in ten minutes, with no significant effect on storage capacity or voltage, the reports said.
Although it could take a decade to commercialize the technology, such a significant breakthrough could dramatically boost public perception of electric cars.
Last year, Pike Research warned that automakers could soon face pushback from consumers on the length of time it takes to recharge a vehicle, after some major names opted not to include charging hardware which could halve the time from eight hours to four hours.
"Some consumers are likely to feel they have overpaid for their charging equipment or were shortchanged with their vehicle," the firm said.
Last month, Nissan launched a new fast charger in Japan costing less than Y1 million ($13,015), half the price of its previous charging unit.
The new model is nearly half the size in volume than previous incarnations and can charge electric vehicles from multiple automakers, Nissan said.
- Lithium Charge: Fisker Karma debuts on Two and a Half Men with Ashton Kutcher's new character ilc.v, tnr.v, czx.v, rm.v, lmr.v, abn.v, asm.v, btt.v, bva.v, bvg.v, epz.v, fst.v, gbn.v, hao.v, jnn.v, ks.v, ktn.v, kxm.v, mgn, mxr.v, rvm.to, svb, ura.v, nup (sufiy.blogspot.com)
- Lithium Drive: Rimac Automobili Concept One revealed ilc.v, tnr.v, czx.v, rm.v, lmr.v, abn.v, asm.v, btt.v, bva.v, bvg.v, epz.v, fst.v, gbn.v, hao.v, jnn.v, ks.v, ktn.v, kxm.v, mgn, mxr.v, rvm.to, svb, ura.v, nup.ax, srz.ax, usa.ax(sufiy.blogspot.com)
- Lithium Drive: Life with an Electric Car ilc.v, tnr.v, czx.v, rm.v, lmr.v, abn.v, asm.v, btt.v, bva.v, bvg.v, epz.v, fst.v, gbn.v, hao.v, jnn.v, ks.v, ktn.v, kxm.v, mgn, mxr.v, rvm.to, svb, ura.v, nup.ax, srz.ax, usa.ax (sufiy.blogspot.com)
- Lithium Drive: Toyota smashes the electric lap record at the Nurburgring Nordschleife ilc.v, tnr.v, czx.v, rm.v, lmr.v, abn.v, asm.v, btt.v, bva.v, bvg.v, epz.v, fst.v, gbn.v, hao.v, jnn.v, ks.v, ktn.v, kxm.v, mgn, mxr.v, rvm.to, svb, ura.v, nup.ax, srz.a (sufiy.blogspot.com)
- Chairman Ben S. Bernanke At the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City Economic Symposium, Jackson Hole, Wyoming ilc.v, tnr.v, czx.v, rm.v, lmr.v, abn.v, asm.v, btt.v, bva.v, bvg.v, epz.v, fst.v, gbn.v, hao.v, jnn.v, ks.v, ktn.v, kxm.v, mgn, mxr.v, rvm.to, s (sufiy.blogspot.com)
- Electric Cars: LIthium twist: Why Toyota Likes Tesla TNR.v, TSLA, CZX.v, TM, RM.v, LMR.v, WLC.v, LIT.v, LI.v, RTP, GOOG, AAPL, FCX, BHP, BYDDY, GM,(sufiy.blogspot.com)
- Powered by LIthium: Barrons: A Big Bet on Electric Cars TNR.v, TSLA, RM.v, LI.v, LMR.v, CLQ.v, WLC.v, HEV, AONE, GM, GOOG, RIMM, NSANY, BYDDY, F, TM, (sufiy.blogspot.com)
- Lithium Charge: White House to highlight electric car developments TNR.v, CZX.v, TSLA, HEV, AONE, LI.v, RM.v, WLC.v, CLQ.v, LIT.v, LMR.v, FCX, RTP, GM (sufiy.blogspot.com)
- Electric Charge: U.S. R&D Spending Aims to Jump-Start Electric-Car Industry TNR.v, TSLA, CZX.v, RM.v, LI.v, WLC.v, CLQ.v, LIT.v, HEV, AONE, GM, F, FCX (sufiy.blogspot.com)