China is moving fast into the Electric space despite all the gloom and doom in the markets these days. Not everything will be smooth, but technology and underlining demand to get rid of Oil dependence will drive this process forward.
"Lithium Charge: CCID Consulting Releases the White Paper for Mapping of China’s Lithium Ion Industry (2011)
We have very interesting report on development of Lithium industry in China as part of the strategic New-Energy Automobile Industries in China's 12th Five Year Plan. Lithium batteries and materials industry is at the heart of this transition to the electric cars and is growing very rapidly in China now. Report expects the fast growth in this sector in China, when security of Lithium supply will be crucial for further developments.
We are following here International Lithium Corp. - Canadian junior Lithium developer with strategic partner from China - Ganfeng Lithium, which is mentioned in the report as well. Company has announced the extensive exploration program in Canada and will start its work on Mariana Lithium brine project in Argentina this Fall."
China's drivers have accepted electric cars wholeheartedly but as unit sales rise, so have worries about the infrastructure required to support a fossil-fuel-free driving lifestyle. City planners estimate the number of electric vehicles registered in Beijing will hit 100,000 by 2015. That's a lot of plugs looking for outlets!
Currently electric car drivers can choose from 19 existing charging stations, with a further 39 due to be completed by the end of 2011. Plans are in the works to vastly increase the availability of charging points, however, with a set goal of 256 charging stations, 210 distribution stations and 42,000 charging posts to be established within the next 5 years.
“Many consumers buy a car not only to commute but also to meet other needs,” explained a representative from the State Grid Corporation of China's Beijing office who pointed out that these needs – worry-free commuting, for example – “are hard for the electric car to satisfy at this time. Authorities have to improve services to promote it.”
And they DO want to promote it. Statistics provided by the Beijing Municipal Commission of Development & Reform underline the importance of electric vehicles when it comes to saving fuel and reducing air pollution: having 100,000 electric vehicles on Beijing's streets could save an estimated one million tons of gasoline annually.
It's taken several decades for oil companies to build enough service stations to meet the expectations of Beijing drivers so matching the penetration rate of gas stations in only half a decade is a lofty, though attainable, goal.
Success won't be judged just by numbers, however, but by the pleasure felt by electric vehicle drivers who no longer need to worry about running out of juice between charging points. By the looks of it, their cars will be pleased as well. (via Want China Times, images via AsiaBizz, China Development Gateway, and Cestar)
- Lithium Drive: Toyota smashes the electric lap record at the Nurburgring Nordschleife ilc.v, tnr.v, czx.v, rm.v, lmr.v, abn.v, asm.v, btt.v, bva.v, bvg.v, epz.v, fst.v, gbn.v, hao.v, jnn.v, ks.v, ktn.v, kxm.v, mgn, mxr.v, rvm.to, svb, ura.v, nup.ax, srz.a (sufiy.blogspot.com)
- Lithium Drive: Life with an Electric Car ilc.v, tnr.v, czx.v, rm.v, lmr.v, abn.v, asm.v, btt.v, bva.v, bvg.v, epz.v, fst.v, gbn.v, hao.v, jnn.v, ks.v, ktn.v, kxm.v, mgn, mxr.v, rvm.to, svb, ura.v, nup.ax, srz.ax, usa.ax (sufiy.blogspot.com)
- Lithium Drive: Rimac Automobili Concept One revealed ilc.v, tnr.v, czx.v, rm.v, lmr.v, abn.v, asm.v, btt.v, bva.v, bvg.v, epz.v, fst.v, gbn.v, hao.v, jnn.v, ks.v, ktn.v, kxm.v, mgn, mxr.v, rvm.to, svb, ura.v, nup.ax, srz.ax, usa.ax(sufiy.blogspot.com)
- Lithium Demand: South Korea to invest 15 trln won in batteries to 2020 TNR.v, CZX.v, TSLA, HEV, AONE, RM.v, LI.v, WLC.v, CLQ.v, LIT.v, SQM, FMC, ROC, (sufiy.blogspot.com)
- Lithium Drive: Die leise Revolution - Zukunft Elektroauto ilc.v, tnr.v, czx.v, rm.v, lmr.v, abn.v, asm.v, btt.v, bva.v, bvg.v, epz.v, fst.v, gbn.v, hao.v, jnn.v, ks.v, ktn.v, kxm.v, mgn, mxr.v, rvm.to, svb, ura.v, nup.ax, srz.ax, usa.ax(sufiy.blogspot.com)
- Nissan's 10-Minute Car Charger Could Change The Electric Vehicle Landscape (fastcompany.com)