Due to size, the October Swine Flu Concentrator had to be split into three parts. This is the second of three parts.
I will post Swine-Flu and related articles under this heading. The top of the instablog will contain my current months links preceded with a one or two liner that explains the link. A more complete summary of the link will be in the comments area. At the bottom of the Instablog we have definition of terms, a summary of Swine Flu / vaccine investment plays, the Google 2009 H1N1 Flu Outbreak Map, Red Cross Tips For Dealing With The Flu, and Memory Alpha which contains links to previous news concentrators and authors articles on the subject.
I will be backing this up frequently as well.
Added Overview of H1N1 / Categories of Vaccine Investment Plays Added Memory Alpha
Added Link to Google's Swine Flu Infection Map
Added Red Cross Tips for Dealing With The Flu
Added definition of EUA and PREP act
Broke Swine Flu Concentrator into two parts
Major development for NVAX that will significantly advance their timeline to production of commercial scale quantities of their H1N1 vaccine.
(October 21) Novavax and Xcellerex Inc. announce collaboration to develop large-scale manufacturing process for 2009 H1N1 Influenza VLP Vaccine. - H.T. Love
(October 21) Aethlon Medical (NASDAQ:AEMD) Releases Medical Device Data Against The H1N1 Swine Flu Virus
October 21 - Swine Flu Concentrator (October Part 1)
Contains detail Swine Flu News and Comments from the first part of October (1 - 20)
(October 16) - FDA issues emergency use authorization [EUA] for commercial H1N1 flu test to Focus Diagnostics (NYSE:DGX) - User 283977
Asthma Is Most Prevalent Underlying Illness Among Most Serious H1N1 Cases - User 283977
(October 16, 2009) Red Cross Offers Important Tips For Caring For Someone With The Flu - User 283977
(October 16) - Tamiflu-resistant new flu detected in patient with no record of Tamiflu use - doubleguns
(October 15, 2009) - Tightening young visitor access to H1N1 patients in the hospital - User 283977
October 9, 2009 Scientists Awaiting The Mutation Of H1N1 - User 283977
October 9 - Chinese Health Experts Look To Control Spread Of H1N1 In Country's Remote Regions - User 283977
October 9, 2009 - H1N1 flu taking off in U.S., officials say. But you can take H1N1 and seasonal shots at the same time. - User 283977
October 10, 2009 - Swine Flu Partys, Mix with the Infected, see if you can be Infected too - Freya
October 11, 2009 - U.S. Department Of Health And Human Services And The Ad Council Launch National Campaign To Help Prevent The Spread Of The H1N1 Flu Virus. - User 283977
(October 12) - A Mixed Bag for Traders and Investors in Healthcare - M. E. Garza
India is rumoured to be one of the countries interested in Novavax's (NASDAQ:NVAX) flu vaccine technology platform.
(October 13) Novavax (NVAX) Awarded NIH Grant for Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) Vaccine Program - H. T. Love
(October 13) Sinovac Receives Certificate of Approval to Distribute Panflu (H5N1) Vaccine in Hong Kong. Its good for 5 years - User 283977
(October 14) CT Scans Show Patients With Severe Cases Of H1N1 Are At Risk For Developing Acute Pulmonary Emboli. Demonstrates superiority of CT scans over chest radiographs in identifying serious complications as a possible result of the H1N1 virus - User 283977
(October 14) Rapid Vaccine Rollout Effective In Reducing Infection Rates, Shown By H1N1 Simulation Modeling. Underscores vital importance of the new rapid production methods (e.g., NVAX) (NASDAQ:VICL) to manufacturer vaccines. - User283977
(25 September 2009) Optimizing Influenza Vaccine Distributions
To minimize deaths, infections, years of life lost, contingent valuation and economic costs optimal vaccination policy is achieved by prioritization of schoolchildren and adults aged 30 to 39 years. - User283977
Swine Flu - Novel H1N1 flu, popularly known as swine flu, is a respiratory infection caused by an influenza virus first recognized in spring 2009. The new virus, which is officially called swine influenza A (H1N1), contains genetic material from human, swine and avian flu viruses. (By Mayo Clinic staff)
Pandemic - The word "pandemic" comes from the Greek "pan-", "all" + "demos", "people or population" = "pandemos" = "all the people." A pandemic affects all (nearly all) of the people.
A World Health Organization phase 6 pandemic indicates that influenza due to the novel H1N1 swine flu is occurring in multiple countries around the world and that human infection is widespread. The classification does not reflect the severity of individual infections.
Pulmonary Embolism - Occurs when a blood clot forms in an arm or leg breaks free and enters the lungs where it is too large to pass through the small vessels of the lungs and forms a blockage. This stops blood from flowing into an area of the lung, and the part of the lung dies because it does not receive oxygen.
What is an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA)?
An EUA may be issued by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to allow either the use of an unapproved medical product or an unapproved use of an approved medical product during certain types of emergencies with specified agents.
What is the PREP Act?
The PREP Act authorizes the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (“Secretary”) to issue a declaration (“PREP Act declaration”) that provides immunity from tort liability (except for willfull misconduct) for claims of loss caused, arising out of, relating to, or resulting from administration or use of countermeasures to diseases, threats and conditions determined by the Secretary to constitute a present, or credible risk of a future public health emergency to entities and individuals involved in the development, manufacture, testing, distribution, administration, and use of such countermeasures.
The PREP Act also authorizes an emergency fund in the United States Treasury to provide compensation for injuries directly caused by administration or use of a countermeasure covered by the Secretary’s declaration. While no funds have been appropriated for this purpose, if funds are appropriated, compensation may then be available for medical benefits, lost wages and death benefits to individuals for specified injuries.
Brief Overview of Categories of H1N1/ Vaccine Investment Plays:
I - Vaccines / Prevention
1) Production Method / Capacity plays (NVAX) (VICL) (OTC:MDCGF)
2) Nationalistic / Population Size Play
3) Injection / Vaccine support services (syringes etc.) (NYSE:BAX) (NYSE:BDX)
4) Outsourced production plays
5) Bio -Defence (OTC:MDCGF)
II - Treatment After Infection Occurs:
1) Dealing with severe lung infections (Fludase® (DAS181)) (NYSE:CBM) (AEMD)
III - Population Avoidance:
1) masks/ disinfectants… Surgical masks are good enough (NYSEMKT:APT) (NYSE:MMM) (NYSE:CLX) (NYSE:ECL)
IV - Testing (do you have it?)
1) Test kits - (DGX)
V - Merger / Acquisitions
Google 2009 H1N1 Flu Outbreak Map
This is a map depicting confirmed and probable cases of the 2009 Influenza A/H1N1 outbreak. Google has international collaborators with a diverse set of expertise (healthcare, emergency management, and technology).
Red Cross Tips For Dealing With The Flu:
IF YOU ARE ILL -
* Stay in a room separate from common areas of the home and avoid contact with others as much as possible.
* Stay at home for at least 24 hours after their fever is gone without using medicine to reduce the fever.
* Get lots of rest and drink plenty of fluids.
* Consider wearing a facemask, if available and tolerable, when sharing common spaces with household members. (ed - surgical masks ok).
* Check with your healthcare provider about whether to take antiviral medication, or if fever persists, whether antibiotics are needed.
WHEN CARING FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS THE FLU -
*Disinfect door knobs, switches, handles, toys and other surfaces that everyone touches.
* Use detergent and very hot water to do dishes and wash clothes. It's okay to wash everyone's dishes and clothes together. Wash your hands after handling dirty laundry.
* Designate only one adult as the caregiver. People at increased risk of severe illness from the flu should not be caregivers.
* Although not mentioned by the Red Cross, the caregiver should probably ware a surgical mask as well when entering the sick room.
* Deal with crisis situations calmly and confidently to give the best support to the person being cared for.
Identifies key writers and comment streams / instablog's that regularly discuss the subject area. This will be updated monthly. The latest articles are at the top of the list.
(October 5 - October 9) - Swine Flu fast forward - Freya
* H1N1 vaccine does not substitute for Pneumonia shot. H1N1 infection dangerous for Pregnant Women. Getting H1N1 through blood banks
September 20 - October 5) - Swine flu Updates - Freya
* Freya was re-instated by SA - First discussion of hospital bed limited capacity issue. Freya identifies a new player in the VLP play - Medicago (OTC:MDCGF). Surgical masks are found to provide adequate protection against H1N1.
(September 16 - September 27) - med-stocks + 17 - one eye
* List of med stocks. WHO up-dates vaccine does from 2 billion to 3 billion.
(September 12 - September 23) - Swine Flu-a scary little article - one eye.
* optionsgirl reports $70.9 million contract for syringes and needles, sharps collectors and alcohol swabs to Retractable Technologies (NYSEMKT:RVP), and another player in the Injection / Vaccine support services (syringes etc.) play (BDX). Quite a few companies mentioned here with respect to the Injection / Vaccine support services play. Discussion of NVAX's capital raising.
(September 11 - September 16) - More from Swine Flu Country - one eye.
* Mention that US vaccine supply may miss H1N1 peak and that cause of deaths from H1N1 re different from seasonal flu.
(September 2 - September 25 Novavax's VLP Flu Vaccine Is A Game Changer - M.E. Garza - A great author for news on Biotech stocks.
* Discusses the importance of new fast vaccine production methods
(September 8 - September 11) - SW Flu - one eye.
*Review of Special Report in the 3 September 2009 issue of Nature, pages 20 - 21 on H1N1. Reports that public health-care system may be overwhelmed.
(September 4 - September 8 ) - Swine Flu 2 - one eye.
* Mayascribe's list of H1N1 stocks. User283977 reports revised categories of investment plays. Mayascribe adds (NYSEMKT:TPI) to the stock list.
(August 29 - September 7) - The Swine Flu daily - one eye -
*Took over Freya's H1N1 news concentrator. Contains estimates of US GDP reductions - First categories of H1N1 investment plays - Mayascribe's list of H1N1 stocks
(August 27) - Swine Flu Part 3 - Freya
*All valuable comments are lost
(August 16) Swineflu updates part 2 - Freya
*All valuable comments are lost
(July 31, 2009) Swine Flu News-Daily- Freya
* The person that started the H1N1 news research concentrator using the Instablog tool - Unfortunately, ALL of the valuable comments were erased because Freya was suspended by SA. However, her links to articles are still their.