The Chart of the Day is Gannet Co (NYSE:GCI). I found the stock by sorting the New High List for frequency in the last month, eliminated the stocks that did not have positive gains for the last week and month, then reviewed the charts using the Flipchart feature. Since the Trend Spotter signaled a buy on 12/14 the stock gained 8.44%.
It is an international news and information company that publishes daily newspapers in the USA, including USA TODAY, the nation's largest-selling daily newspaper. The company also owns in excess of 400 non-daily publications in the USA and USA WEEKEND, a weekly newspaper magazine. Gannett subsidiary Newsquest is the United Kingdom's second largest regional newspaper company. Newsquest publishes more than 300 titles, including 15 daily newspapers, and a network of prize-winning Web sites. Gannett also operates 22 television stations in the United States.
Barchart's Opinion trading systems are listed below. Please note that the Barchart Opinion indicators are updated live during the session every 10 minutes and can therefore change during the day as the market fluctuates. The indicator numbers shown below therefore may not match what you see live on the Barchart.com web site when you read this report.
Barchart technical indicators:
- 96% Barchart technical buy signals
- Trend Spotter buy signal
- Above its 20, 50 and 100 day moving averages
- 15 new highs and up 16.71% in the last month
- Relative Strength Index 73.36%
- Barchart computes a technical support level at 29.02
- Recently traded at 29.84 with a 50 day moving average of 27.38
- Market Cap $6.84 billion
- P/E 13.04
- Dividend yield 2.70%
- Revenue expected to decrease 3.20% this year but grow 14.80% next year
- Earnings estimated to decrease 12.00% this year but increase again by 35.60% next year and continue to increase by 8.00% annually for the next 5 years
- Financial Strength is B
I put this chart in here as a learning lesson. Technically and fundamentally the stock looks very good. However when I look at the chart I see very erratic movement, momentum that is uncertain, including some day with great volatility. I don't like uncertainty. Always took at all 3 indicators - technical, fundamental and visual before committing funds.