The 6 W's: Who, what, where, when, why and what of it
Starting the month off
Mid-Day: The NASDAQ is DOWN -14.67 (-0.48%) to 3,052.29 while the Dow is DOWN -84.98 (-0.65%) to 13,005.86.
Today's Gospel: Stocks tumbled extending their declines on the 1st trading day of September while struggling for direction post the open on Tuesday after a long weekend.
It is always good to start the new month with … positive news .. as small as it might be … but, good <anticipation> for all … STEM starts the month off with Positive Interim Data from Spinal Cord Injury Trial and I also quantitatively <within sector dynamics> updated the Aastrom (ASTM) valuation … http://www.scimitarequity.com/blog/2012/09/04/valuing-aastrom-biosciences-astm-at-4-90-with-a-strong-buy-ranking ;
We're been in a pullback and [I'm expecting] poor market performance in September <unless the news flow transcends market dynamics … We're also very close to the low and mid-points of share pricing versus the past highs but the RegMed sector is nowhere near where we have been!
We've also NOT priced in the market <comps) relationships, milestones, catalysts as a few companies … are specifically coasting upon … relationship of <hype> speculation that has become reality and what or … that's not happening< like specific trials defining the viability of pre-clinical moves>;
Stocks added small gains if any … in today's market decline. Who is playing through today … Proteonomix (OTC: PROT), StemCells (STEM), Pluristem (NASDAQ:PSTI), ImmunoCellular (NYSE MK: IMUC) and BioTime (NYSE MKT: BTX) followed by surprisingly Athersys (NASDAQ:ATHX);
Measuring the day - 10 green (ups) … with 12 red (downs) and 4-5 fluctuating black (flats)… The CBOE Volatility Index traded … jumped near to 19.
- Aastrom (ASTM) is DOWN -$0.02 or -1.20% to … $1.65 with a mid-day range of $1.65 - $1.73with … with volume … of 114K so, far from Friday's $1.66 - $1.71 <versus volume of 229K>. I can't say it enough without being a shrill … UNDERVALYED with a P3 advanced trial;
- BioLife Solutions (OTC: BLFS) is … FLAT at $0.14 … hoping it sticks as I continue to reiterate this is an appreciable asset …
- Cytori (NASDAQ:CYTX) is UP … +$0.02 or +0.63% at $3.17 …still above $3.00 …my infixion point in a trading range of $3.11 - $3.21 with trading of 77K shares from Friday's $3.03 - $3.16 with <versus 187.4K;
- Osiris (NASDAQ:OSIR) is DOWN $0.06 or -0.66% to $8.99 … with a trading range of $8.82 -$9.13 from with still low volume of 48K shares so far … from Friday's $8.85 - $9.09, with volume of 66K>;
- NeoStem (Amex: NBS) … is DOWN <but, coming back from the morning low> -$0.009 or -1.47% to $0.611 … in a tighter day's range of $0.59 -$0.63 … with 388K volume from Friday's $0.62 -$0.65 and volume of 286.3k.
Worth mentioning and Reading:
- Cellerant Awarded $36.4M Option under Existing US Government Contract to Support Development of CLT-008 for Treatment of Acute Radiation Syndrome. This third year of funding is in addition to the $80 million committed under the two-year base period and is part of a five-year award valued at up to $169.9 million. This additional funding will continue to support Cellerant's CLT-008 development strategy by providing funds for its ongoing clinical trials, process development and manufacturing activities and the nonclinical studies required for approval in ARS. If licensed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the federal government could buy CLT-008 for the Strategic National Stockpile under Project Bioshield. Project Bioshield is designed to accelerate the research, development, purchase and availability of effective medical countermeasures for the Strategic National Stockpile;
- ThermoGenesis (NASDAQ:KOOL) announces New Integrated Distribution Strategy for Cord Blood Products in Western Europe. Under the four-year agreement, Concessus will distribute both the AXP and BioArchive in the following countries: France, Spain, Switzerland, Benelux, Liechtenstein and Nordic countries (excluding Iceland). Concessus, which has been distributing the BioArchive since 2010, is a nearly 50-year-old Lisbon-based company that has been involved in the cord blood market for more than two decades. Concessus specializes in equipment for the healthcare diagnostic laboratory and research markets, with a strong focus on key markets in Western Europe. GE Healthcare, which had been distributing the AXP in these markets, will continue to distribute the offering in the US and Canada;
- NeoStem (NYSE MKT: NBS) to Present at Three Investor Conferences in September: 1. BioCentury & Thomson Reuters, Date: September 7, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT; Rodman & Renshaw Annual Global Investment Conference, Date: September 10, 2012, 10:50 AM EDT and National Investment Banking Association Conference, Date: September 13, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT;
- Advanced Cell Technology (OTC: ACTC) ACT's Chief Scientific Officer Dr. Robert Lanza to Deliver Opening Keynote Address at 4th Annual Stem Cell Symposium in Singapore;
- Cytomedix's (OTC: CMXI) AutoloGel System Featured in Continuing Education Program at the Paralyzed Veterans of America Summit 2012; Physiologically Relevant Concentrations of Platelet Rich Plasma Shown to Improve Healing of Chronic Pressure Ulcers and Trauma Wounds in Patients with Spinal Cord Injuries;
- StemCells (STEM), New hope was raised yesterday for people left paralyzed by injury, after doctors said they had succeeded in using stem cells to restore feeling in two patients. In a world first, doctors at Zurich University said two out of three men who had agreed to take part in an early trial, had regained some sensation below the level of their injuries. It is the first time anyone has reported a positive outcome from stem cell therapy for severe spinal cord injury - and holds out the possibility of greater things in years to come. The ultimate aim is to help those paralyzed by injury to walk again. The trial worked on the theory that injected adult stem cells would transform themselves into spinal cord nerves, reconnecting brain and lower body.
- Advanced Cell Technology (OTC BB: ACTC),
- Athersys (ATHX),
- Biorestorative (PINK: BRTX),
- BioTime (NYSEMKT:BTX),
- Cytori (CYTX),
- Cytomedix (OTC BB: CMXI),
- Dendreon (NASDAQ:DNDN),
- ImmunoCellular IMUC),
- International Stem Cell (OTC: ISCO),
- Neuralstem (NYSEMKT:CUR),
- Pluristem (PSTI),
- ReNeuron (RENE.L).
- StemCells (STEM),
- Aastrom (ASTM),
- Bioheart (OTC BB: BHRT),
- Brainstorm (OTC BB: BCLI),
- BioMimetic (NASDAQ:BMTI),
- Fibrocell (OTC BB: FCSC).
- Geron (NASDAQ:GERN),
- BioLife Solutions (OTC BB: BLFS),
- Cryo-Cell (OTC BB: CCEL);
- Tengion (TNGN),
- Thermogenesis (KOOL),
EconoDrama: Manufacturing fell to 49.6 in August, contracting at its sharpest rate in more than 3 years, according to the Institute for Supply Management. The reading fell shy of the 50.0-expected reading. A reading below 50 indicates contraction in the sector. And construction spending dipped 0.9% in July, falling by the most in a year, according to the Commerce Department. Economists had expected construction spending to rise 0.4% in July.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.