Seeking Alpha

Andrew Crowder's  Instablog

Andrew Crowder
Send Message
Over the last few years I have worked diligently towards refining several of my favorite and most successful stock options strategies. My hard work and diligence have proven to be a success and now I want to share my ideas and strategies with a limited group of like-minded investors. My options... More
My company:
My blog:
Crowder Options
  • Bulls Beware…Major Indices At Historic Extremes 0 comments
    Mar 13, 2013 8:56 AM | about stocks: DIA, IWM, SPY

    Yes, the market has rallied in the face of, well, almost everything.

    While I have my doubts about the sustainability of the current rally I'm not going to give you the reasons why…because it's only my opinion and as we all know when using a statistical approach towards investing/trading opinions are essentially useless.

    The Russell 2000 (NYSEARCA:IWM), S&P 500 (NYSEARCA:SPY) and Dow (NYSEARCA:DIA) have recently pushed to all-time highs which has pushed our High-Probability, Mean Reversion indicators to extreme overbought states.

    Moreover, if you look at the RSI over various time frames you will quickly notice that most of the ETFs I follow are pegged right now. Typically, when this time of reading occur we see a decent decline short-term decline going forward.

    But there's something different this time around. First of all we have the VIX near historical lows. Will we see single digits in the investor's fear gauge? Secondly, the longer-term picture, at least from a mean-reversion perspective looks ominous for the bulls.

    Just look at the RSI (14) on a five year chart for the S&P 500.

    As you can see the indicator has pushed into an overbought state for only the second time in the last five years…and the last time was in early 2011 when SPY fell from $130 to $110.

    It's been a rough few months for those of us who sell credit spreads for a living. But, when you make 80-85% trades every expiration cycle you should expect to see a few losers in the mix. I currently have a few credit spreads that are not going my way, but given the short-term extremes I am still confident in positions with the exception of a fairly aggressive (68% chance of success) trade I made in the Theta Driver strategy.

    Of course, only time will tell, but by the looks of it the bulls should be running out of steam very soon. Typically expiration week sides with the bulls. We have seen this over the past year with 9 out of 12 expiration weeks reaping higher returns, but we haven't seen the market in such a precarious overbought state.

    Situations like what we are seeing in the market are what I thrive on as a statistically-based trader. I use only highly-liquid ETFs to take advantage of short to intermediate-term extremes in the market and pounce on those opportunities using statistically-based, high-probability trades. My strategy of choice of course is credit spreads, Verticals, condors, etc. you name it, I sell it. I always want to take the other side of a highly-speculative trade and in this environment speculation has become robust. Now its time to take advantage of those options buyers who are taking 15% chances on a trade. Let me have the other side and the 85% chance of success to go along with it. I will win out every time over the long run. It's just a matter of staying the course and keeping position-sizes within a reasonable level. The latter is by far the most important factor in the longevity of a trader.

    Disclosure: I am short SPY, DIA. I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it. I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article.

    Themes: etf-quick-picks-and-lists Stocks: DIA, IWM, SPY
Back To Andrew Crowder's Instablog HomePage »

Instablogs are blogs which are instantly set up and networked within the Seeking Alpha community. Instablog posts are not selected, edited or screened by Seeking Alpha editors, in contrast to contributors' articles.

Comments (0)
Track new comments
Be the first to comment
Full index of posts »
Latest Followers


More »

Latest Comments

Most Commented
Instablogs are Seeking Alpha's free blogging platform customized for finance, with instant set up and exposure to millions of readers interested in the financial markets. Publish your own instablog in minutes.