Seeking Alpha

Emerging Money's  Instablog

Emerging Money
Send Message
With hedge fund manager, CNBC regular and long-time veteran of the Russian markets Tim Seymour at the helm, Emerging Money (http://www.emergingmoney.com) provides education, trading analysis and comprehensive views of emerging markets around the world. As economies in the BRIC group and beyond... More
My company:
Emerging Money
My blog:
Emerging Money
  • AFK, an ETF for African exposure  0 comments
    Oct 25, 2010 6:52 AM | about stocks: AU, ODMTY, ORSTF, AFK

    With an M&A run rate of $54 billion from Marakesh to Johannesburg, African companies are having a great year. If you are looking for double-digit earnings growth at single-digit valuations, Africa is one of the last remaining places on Earth that you will be able to find it.

    Local companies benefit from strong consumer demand and investors benefit from high dividend yields. In fact, African mutual funds and ETFs have seen investors pump a record $610 million into their portfolios so far this year.

    But those flows can conceal a relative lack of variety in the individual African stocks that U.S. investors can buy. There are only 88 ADRs to cover the entire African continent -- one from Zambia, three from Egypt and the rest from South Africa. South Africa is of course a very exciting economy, contributing 17% of all of Africa's total GDP, but getting exposure to the other 83% of the continent is difficult.

    You can simply buy into the Africa ETF AFK, which is up 17.8% so far this year.

    However, even AFK has trouble investing its entire portfolio on the continent itself. About 30% of the fund's assets are in South Africa -- companies like AngloGold AU, and Old Mutual ODMTY, -- and another 19% are in Egypt, largely in ORSTF and ORSDF.

    Another 30% comes from Nigeria, Morocco and Kenya, where retail exposure is very hard to come by. But the remaining 21% represents "offshore" exposure to African markets -- global companies that do business on the continent, but are not actually African stocks.



    Disclosure: no positions
    Themes: Africa, ETF, South Africa, Zambia, ADR, gold, Egypt Stocks: AU, ODMTY, ORSTF, AFK
Back To Emerging Money's Instablog HomePage »

Instablogs are blogs which are instantly set up and networked within the Seeking Alpha community. Instablog posts are not selected, edited or screened by Seeking Alpha editors, in contrast to contributors' articles.

Comments (0)
Track new comments
Be the first to comment
Full index of posts »
Latest Followers

StockTalks

More »

Latest Comments


Posts by Themes
Instablogs are Seeking Alpha's free blogging platform customized for finance, with instant set up and exposure to millions of readers interested in the financial markets. Publish your own instablog in minutes.