I find these videos make a great case for why frontier markets matter this century, and are where I am spending my time learning and developing my investing knowledge. The below are all TED talks.
Mr. Rosling's bio is here.
Mr. Rosling's website full of global statistics is Gapminder.org.
- The magic washing machine (9 minutes)
- Stats that reshape your worldview (20 minutes)
- Global population growth, box by box (10 minutes)
- Religions and babies (13 minutes)
- Let my dataset change your mindset (20 minutes)
- Asia's rise -- how and when (16 minutes)
- New insights on poverty (19 minutes)
- The good news of the decade? (16 minutes)
Quotes by Hans Rosling
- "Health cannot be bought at the supermarket. You have to invest in health. You have to get kids into schooling. You have to train health staff. You have to educate the population."
- "I have shown that Swedish top students know statistically significantly less about the world than the chimpanzees."
- "My experience from 20 years of Africa is that the seemingly impossible is possible."
- "I have a neighbor who knows 200 types of wine. … I only know two types of wine - red and white. But my neighbor only knows two types of countries - industrialized and developing. And I know 200."
- "Eighteen fifty-eight was a year of great technological advancement in the West. That was the year when Queen Victoria was able, for the first time, to communicate with President Buchanan, through the Transatlantic Telegraphic Cable. And they were the first to 'Twitter' transatlantically."
- "What I'm really worried about is war. Will the former rich countries really accept a completely changed world economy, and a shift of power away from where it has been the last 50 to 100 to 150 years, back to Asia?"
- "Avoid war, because that always pushes human beings backward."
- "If your economy grows [by] 4 percent, you ought to reduce child mortality 4 percent."
- "Half of the energy is used by one seventh of the world's population."
- "If you have democracy, people will vote for washing machines. They love them!"
- "There are two billion fellow human beings who live on less than $2 a day."
- "The number of children is not growing any longer in the world. We are still debating peak oil, but we have definitely reached peak child."
- "You don't have to get rich to have [fewer] children. It has happened across the world."
- "Religion has very little to do with the number of babies per woman. All the religions in the world are fully [able] to maintain their values and adapt to this new world."