Seeking Alpha

Matthew Sauer, ...'s  Instablog

Matthew Sauer, Esq.
  • on ETF Analysis
  • on Mutual Funds
Send Message
Matthew Sauer, Esq. is the President and Chief Investment Officer of the Mutual Fund Investor Guide. Each month he publishes the Investor Guide to Fidelity Funds, Investor Guide to Vanguard Funds and ETF Investor Guide. On a weekly basis he publishes the Global Momentum Guide, focusing on sector... More
My company:
Mutual Fund Investor Guide
My blog:
Mutual Fund Investor Guide
  • Emerging Markets Drop Anchor 0 comments
    Aug 22, 2013 12:07 PM | about stocks: IDX

    Global stock markets are being pulled lower by emerging crises in emerging markets. Currency and stock market declines in India and Indonesia have rattled the region and initiated discussion of whether another emerging market crisis is on the way. With U.S. stocks in a consolidation phase during some of the slowest trading days of the year, they too are being pulled lower.

    Indonesia saw its stock market plummet 15 percent over a one month period stretching from the end of May into late June, with the bulk of the losses coming in the first two weeks. After recovering about 40 percent of those losses, the Indonesia market has lost more than 10 percent in the past week, along with seeing its currency decline in value. An ETF that tracks the Indonesian market, Market Vectors Indonesia (NYSEARCA:IDX), was down 18 percent in the week through Wednesday.

    India is in a similar situation, although it's market recovered all its losses from June by late July. Since then, the Indian stock market has fallen more than 10 percent. Since May, the currency has seen a non-stop decline, losing 15 percent versus the U.S. dollar. The combined losses have most India funds down roughly 25 percent since May.

    While these declines are large, they aren't shocking for volatile emerging markets. What has investors concerned is that these losses are just the beginning of a much larger decline. We have seen this cycle play out before, with the 1997 Asian Crisis and the 2008 financial crisis both coming in the wake of huge credit bubbles. Emerging markets have once more relied on credit growth, including China, but these cycles have reached their natural end. Additionally, the Federal Reserve is considering a reduction in asset purchases, and most of the Federal Reserves asset purchases ended up flowing into Asia through hot money flows. Speculators are reassessing their positions and at a certain point, it may not matter what the Fed does, if the markets dislocate enough to cause the herd to shift out of Asia.

    Still, European markets pushed higher today and U.S. markets have become oversold. Capital flowing out of Asia in 1997 contributed to the strong bull market in U.S. stocks and with the relatively insulted domestic U.S. economy (one of the positives of having a large trade deficit) still on the mend, the U.S. will benefit from Asian instability. Even if we see a wider panic and crisis develop in Asia, the U.S. will most likely only see a short-term disruption in the bull market. Particularly because if events deteriorate into September, the Fed will delay its tapering, and that will provide a bit of relief to markets across the globe.

    Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.

    Themes: Emerging Markets, India Stocks: IDX
Back To Matthew Sauer, Esq.'s Instablog HomePage »

Instablogs are blogs which are instantly set up and networked within the Seeking Alpha community. Instablog posts are not selected, edited or screened by Seeking Alpha editors, in contrast to contributors' articles.

Comments (0)
Track new comments
Be the first to comment
Full index of posts »
Latest Followers

StockTalks

More »

Latest Comments


Posts by Themes
Instablogs are Seeking Alpha's free blogging platform customized for finance, with instant set up and exposure to millions of readers interested in the financial markets. Publish your own instablog in minutes.