UBS Kicks off 39th Annual Global Media & Communications Conference
December 5-7, 2011, Grand Hyatt Hotel, New York
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- UBS kicks off its annual Global Media & Communications Conference this morning at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in New York. Aryeh Bourkoff, Vice Chairman, Head of UBS Americas Investment Banking, will deliver opening remarks at 7:30am (accessible at: http://cc.talkpoint.com/ubsx001/120511a_im/?entity=64_3ONIDVQ)
The longest-running investor conference for the media industry launched 39 years ago when the Internet was just computer networking; when there were only three television networks; and when Atari debuted its first video game, Pong. As the media industry enters its most innovative phase yet, this years conference will explore the latest ideas and trends:
- What is the shape and contour of the broader communications landscape as we move forward?
- What characterizes tomorrows advertising landscape?
- What are the important trends in video consumption, distribution and monetization?
- What will happen as technology companies move to become media companies?
- What does our daily diet of change and disruption in technology, business models, finance and partnerships mean for content producers, aggregators and distributors?
We are pleased to host leading media and communications companies and key executives from around the world during a time of significant change in the industry, said Mr. Bourkoff, a conference host for the past decade. Over the next three days, in panel discussions, keynotes and break-out meetings, we will work together to identify those companies, ideas and technologies best positioned to ride this latest wave and capture the exciting opportunities in our future that we are not even aware of today.
Among the over 90 companies participating in this weeks Global Media & Communications Conference include: Time Warner, Comcast, News Corp, Sprint, Charter, The Washington Post, Viacom, Netflix, AOL, Electronic Arts, CBS, BskyB, Interpublic Group, Scripps Networks, Inmarsat, AT&T, Virgin Media, Verizon and Sony.
Consistent with the strategy unveiled by UBS http://www.ubs.com/at its Investor Day on November 17th, the Investment Banking Department is returning to a simpler, more focused approach to serving clients by leveraging its core strengths and building market share in advisory and capital markets execution. Delivering strategic perspective, market knowledge, execution strength and global resources to our clients remains the cornerstone of our success, said Mr. Bourkoff.
This focus has made UBS a leader in Media & Telecommunications M&A, where the firm currently ranks #1 in the US and #2 globally. A selection of notable deals that the team has executed to date in 2011 include1:
- Financial advisor and financing provider to Sony-led consortium on the pending $2.25bn acquisition of EMI Music Publishing
- Financial advisor to Insight Communications on the pending $3.0bn sale to Time Warner Cable
- Lead financial advisor and financing provider to Cumulus Media on the $2.4bn acquisition of Citadel Broadcasting (CDL)
- Financial advisor and financing provider to Access Industries on the $3.3bn acquisition of Warner Music Group
1Source: Thomson SDC - based on number of deals; UBS is also ranked #1 in the US and #1 globally in Media M&A based on both dollar volume and number of deals
Live audio transmissions of company presentations will be accessible via the UBS Investment Bank website at
Replays will be available approximately three hours after the initial presentation for four weeks.
For more information and slide presentations from UBSs November 17th
Investor Day, visit:
Notes to Editors
UBS draws on its 150-year heritage to serve private, institutional and corporate clients worldwide, as well as retail clients in Switzerland. We combine our wealth management, investment banking and asset management businesses with our Swiss operations to deliver superior financial solutions.
UBS is present in all major financial centers worldwide. It has offices in over 50 countries, with about 37% of its employees working in the Americas, 37% in Switzerland, 16% in the rest of Europe and 10% in Asia Pacific. UBS employs about 65,000 people around the world. Its shares are listed on the SIX Swiss Exchange and the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE).
Follow us on Twitter at: www.ubs.com/twitteramericas
Torie von Alt, +1-212-713-3262
Source: UBS AGCopyright Business Wire 2011