UK Operator Vaioni Taps Ciena for Carrier Ethernet Upgrade
LINTHICUM, Md.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Ciena (CIEN) ® Corporation (NASDAQ: CIEN), the network specialist, today announced that Vaioni, the UKs largest Ethernet aggregator, is deploying a range of Cienas Carrier Ethernet solutions as part of its enhanced Ethernet service offerings to enterprises, carriers and cloud providers across the country. Cienas Carrier Ethernet Service Delivery (CESD) portfolio has been rolled out across Vaionis UK network infrastructure, allowing the operator to significantly extend the reach of its core network connectivity in its home market, deliver a full suite of next generation Ethernet services, and maximize service availability while reducing the cost and complexity of turning up new services.
- With the largest aggregated Ethernet fabric in the UK that also spans the globe, Vaioni is an independent provider of next-generation Ethernet services, VPLS and Private WAN (PWAN) solutions. Interconnected with hundreds of global telecommunications operators, Vaioni delivers bespoke Layer 2 and Layer 3 IP services and solutions to a range of carrier partners and corporate end users across the UK and Europe, the Americas, Africa, the Middle East and Asia.
- After a detailed analysis and evaluation, Vaioni has chosen to standardize on Cienas Carrier Ethernet Service Delivery portfolio for all network infrastructure equipment across its UK network. The deployment of Ciena CESD equipment is now complete - including a 100 percent swap of old equipment.
- Vaioni selected Cienas 3916, 3920 and 3930 Service Delivery Switches, as well as its 5150 Service Aggregation Switch to build a next-generation Ethernet access and aggregation architecture capable of delivering a full suite of Ethernet services (E-line, E-LAN, E-Tree) to the wholesale carrier and enterprise markets.
- Cienas 3930 and 5150 platforms are being used to deploy 10 Gbps optical fibre rings in key metro areas across the UK, allowing the delivery of next-generation Ethernet services in a cost-effective manner. The solution utilizes G.8032 Ethernet Ring Protection Switching to maximize service availability on the network.
- The 3916 and 3920 platforms serve as customer demarcation devices, ensuring Quality of Service (QoS) required to correctly handle multiple customer applications.
As our business grows and our customers demand faster and more
effective service turn-up than ever before, the low-touch provisioning
model of Cienas Carrier Ethernet platforms allows us to accelerate
deployment times and significantly lower the cost of bringing new
customers onto our network. Coupled with the reliability and
scalability inherent in Cienas portfolio, these benefits are key in
enabling us to offer industry-leading Service Level Agreements to our
demanding customers and thrive in an increasingly competitive market.
We will be the only UK operator to offer a full Carrier Ethernet
proposition coupled with complete autonomy from Telecoms Carriers.
Sachin Vaish, managing director at Vaioni
In todays competitive environment, for an operator to be able to
offer a more robust network service and shorter deployment time often
means crossing the finish line ahead of the competition in the race
for new business. Were confident that our Carrier Ethernet solutions
will equip Vaioni with the transport-class infrastructure needed to
continue growing its business and delivering unmatched service to its
John-Paul Hemingway, EMEA vice president of strategic development at Ciena
- Application note: Delivering True Carrier Ethernet Business Services
- Webinar: Carrier Ethernet Service Delivery Platform Overview
- Brochure: Carrier Ethernet Service Delivery
- Product datasheet: 3916 Service Delivery Switch
- Product datasheet: 3920 Service Delivery Switch
- Product datasheet: 3930 Service Delivery Switch
- Product datasheet: 5150 Service Aggregation Switch
Ciena is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. With focused innovation, Ciena brings together the reliability and capacity of optical networking with the flexibility and economics of Ethernet, unified by a software suite that delivers the industrys leading network automation. We routinely post recent news, financial results and other important announcements and information about Ciena on our website. For more information, visit www.ciena.com.
Note to Ciena Investors
Forward-looking statements. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements based on current expectations, forecasts and assumptions that involve risks and uncertainties. These statements are based on information available to the Company as of the date hereof; and Ciena's actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied, due to risks and uncertainties associated with its business, which include the risk factors disclosed in its Report on Form 10-K, which Ciena filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on December 22, 2011. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding Ciena's expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies regarding the future and can be identified by forward-looking words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Jamie Moody, +1-214-9958035
Artur Kwiatkowski, +44 (0) 207 012 5584
Gregg Lampf, +1-410-694-5700
Source: Ciena CorporationCopyright Business Wire 2012