AMD and PTC(R) Team Up to Provide Advanced Graphics Performance in Creo(R) Parametric 2.0
SUNNYVALE, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 04/13/12 -- AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced its collaboration with PTC, a leading provider of product development software solutions and services, to enable 900%(1) faster performance in 3D transparency in PTC Creo Parametric 2.0 and shaded 3D frame rates and interactivity by over 4X on AMD FirePro professional graphics cards(2). In addition, the AMD Catalyst" Pro driver supports optimizations to ensure AMD FirePro professional graphics cards enable winning performance, reliability and workflow innovation for Creo users at virtually every AMD FirePro professional graphics card price point.
"The latest AMD FirePro professional graphics cards and drivers have been specifically engineered to enhance the productivity of PTC Creo Parametric 2.0 users," said Antoine Reymond, senior strategic alliance manager, Workstation Graphics, AMD. "Technical designers rely on software and hardware tools to optimize their workflow and enable them to effectively design without performance bottlenecks. Our collaboration with PTC helps ensure design professionals using AMD FirePro professional graphics cards will experience a significant boost in performance, resulting in superior productivity and design intuition."
Through this collaborative process, AMD and PTC developed an ultra-fast GPU-accelerated 3D transparency mode for Creo Parametric 2.0, as well as GPU-accelerated OpenGL functions, which deliver always-on 3D interactivity increases for Creo users. For design professionals using PTC Creo Parametric 2.0, these innovations are designed to improve decision-making effectiveness, increase workflow efficiencies and build overall awareness throughout the design process.
"PTC and the AMD FirePro team have collaborated to deliver Creo graphics performance and workflow optimizations to help designers create, innovate and deliver products that meet their customers' needs," said Brian Thompson, vice president, MCAD Product Management at PTC. "The new performance enhancements in Creo Parametric 2.0 include GPU-accelerated transparency and 3D viewport performance enhancements. AMD FirePro professional performance-optimized graphics cards and drivers help users fully realize the power of Creo 2.0."
Benefits an AMD FirePro professional graphics card can provide PTC Creo Parametric 2.0 users:
- Hardware-accelerated transparency rendering (OIT): Increases 3D interactivity (frame rates) by up to and over 900% while "pixel-accurate" depth sorting ensures that assembly components are visually represented in context of the surrounding geometry.(1)
- Hardware-accelerated 3D interactivity performance enhancements (VBO): "Always-on" 3D rendering performance enhancements provide up to and over 4X faster 3D frame rates and interactivity with advanced datasets and workflows.(2)
- AMD Eyefinity technology: Easy and flexible configuration of up to six displays from a single AMD FirePro professional graphics card provides more efficient multi-tasking and greater workflow flexibility.(3)
- AMD GeometryBoost technology: Provides double the raw geometry performance for working with larger datasets with more complexity, ensuring smooth 3D interactivity even as moderately complex datasets and models become more complex.(4)
- AMD FirePro Product page
- PTC® Creo Blog
- AMD FirePro Certifications page
- Twitter: Follow AMD professional graphics news on Twitter at @AMDFirePro
- Facebook (FB): Become a fan of AMD technology on Facebook
AMD (NYSE: AMD) is a semiconductor design innovator leading the next era of vivid digital experiences with its groundbreaking AMD Accelerated Processing Units (APUs) that power a wide range of computing devices. AMD's server computing products are focused on driving industry-leading cloud computing and virtualization environments. AMD's superior graphics technologies are found in a variety of solutions ranging from game consoles, PCs to supercomputers. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
AMD, the AMD arrow logo, FirePro, and combinations thereof, are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All other names are for reference only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
PTC and Creo are registered trademarks of Parametric Technology Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.
(1) Based on comparison of Creo 2.0 "OIT" mode (30.9 FPS) vs. "blended" transparency mode in Wildfire 5 (3.0 FPS) running internal benchmark, "AMD_FP_Creo_Fraps_Bench," using AMD's motorcycle dataset and "shaded" mode. Configuration: Dell T3500, Intel Xeon W3690 3.47Ghz 6-Core, 12GB, AMD FirePro V7900, Windows 7 x64, 1920x1200, Driver: AMD Catalyst Pro 8.911.3.3. FP-21.
(2) Based on comparison of Creo 2.0 (with VBO) (47.3 FPS) vs. Wildfire 5 (without VBO) (9.0 FPS) running internal benchmark, "AMD_FP_Creo_Fraps_Bench," using PTC's combine dataset and "shaded" mode., Configuration: Dell T3500, Intel Xeon W3690 3.47Ghz 6-Core, 12GB, AMD FirePro V7900, Windows 7 x64, 1920x1200, Drivers: AMD Catalyst Pro 8.911.3.3. FP-22.
(3) AMD Eyefinity technology works with games that support non-standard aspect ratios, which is required for panning across multiple displays. To enable more than two displays, additional panels with native DisplayPort" connectors, and/or DisplayPort" compliant active adapters to convert your monitor's native input to your cards DisplayPort" or Mini-DisplayPort" connector(s), are required. Support for five simultaneous displays may require complementary products compatible with DisplayPort 1.2 Multi-Stream Transport. Maximum number of configured displays may vary - check with your component or system manufacturer for specific model capabilities and supported technologies. SLS ("Single Large Surface") functionality requires an identical display resolution on all configured displays.
(4) Raw geometry performance (unshaded triangles), AMD FirePro V5900 and V7900 compared to AMD FirePro V5800 and V7800 cards.
Contact: Dave Erskine AMD Public Relations (289) 695-0903 Email Contact Matthew Kanas Edelman for AMD (416) 849-3324 Email Contact
Source: Advanced Micro Devices