Groupon Grassroots Spurs Nationwide Community Action in Celebration of Earth Day
Promotion raised funds and garnered support for 50 local organizations across the U.S.
CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Groupon Grassroots (http://grassroots.groupon.com), the social giving branch of Groupon (GRPN) (http://www.groupon.com), raised more than $126,000 for local organizations and fulfilled hundreds of dedicated supplies requests over a week-long celebration in honor of Earth Day and the companys relaunch of Groupon Grassroots, formerly G-Team. Concluded on Earth Day, the initiative connected Groupon subscribers with community leaders to inspire collective action and support environmental efforts in 50 cities nationwide.
Groupon Grassroots success comes in all objects and sizes. Thanks to the Earth Day campaigns:
- More than 4,400 trees will be planted across the US and in heavily deforested areas in Haiti
- Forty people will travel to Zambia for a volunteer project
- Environmentally-driven classes, workshops and camps will be organized to serve more than 1,400 attendees
- Energy-efficient upgrades will be implemented in low-income and Habitat for Humanity homes, community centers, transitional housing and a battered womens shelter
- Water quality will be improved in five cities by way of trash removal, volunteer training and water testing
- Communities in Cincinnati and St. Louis will be enriched with 18 beautified vacant lots and more than 25 raised garden beds, respectively
- Bike Light sets and helmets will be gifted to 443 locals in Austin and Portland, Ore.
Were honored to work with these local organizations as they lay the foundation for strong, sustainable communities, said Patty Huber, Director, Groupon Grassroots. Being able to provide a large platform for them to tell their story, garner support and inspire involvement is what brings us into the office every day.
The weeklong salute to Earth Day also served as Groupon Grassroots re-introduction under a new brand, strengthening their mission to activate citizenship and facilitate community revitalization by spotlighting local campaigns. Groupon Grassroots campaigns provide Groupon subscribers with a new way to discover local causes and work together to improve their neighborhoods.
About Groupon Grassroots
Groupon Grassroots, launched in July 2010 in Chicago as G-Team, features local campaigns in more than 65 markets nationwide, enabling Groupon followers to do good, have fun, and make a real impact in their communities. Groupon Grassroots uses collective action to gather support for worthwhile causes and produce tangible results for local organizations. To learn more about Groupon Grassroots and how to become a featured organization, visit http://grassroots.groupon.com. To subscribe to Groupon, visit http://www.groupon.com.
Erin Yeager, 312-999-3434
Source: GrouponCopyright Business Wire 2012