TI power converter conserves energy in smart meter and sensor designs
DALLAS, June 4, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Simplifying power design in smart grid and sensor control applications, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced a 200-mA, 60-V SWIFT high-density, synchronous step-down regulator with 90-percent high efficiency and low noise performance. With a solution size of only 125 mm2, the TPS54061 integrates both high side and low side power MOSFETs, and improves efficiency in industrial automation and 4-mA to 20-mA sensor control applications, as well as smart meter, Power over Ethernet, computing and consumer designs. For samples, WEBENCH® design tool and evaluation module visit: www.ti.com/tps54061-pr.
The TPS54061 converter manages input voltages from 4.7 V to 60 V, and can withstand high-voltage transients up to 62 V, while saving energy even under light load conditions. The converter supports various TI processors, including Stellaris® ARM® Cortex"-M MCUs, C5000" DSPs and ultra-low power MSP430" 16-bit MCUs.
Key features and benefits of the TPS54061:
- High efficiency and light-load performance: 62-V transient protection for specification overhead; 90-percent efficiency at 24 Vin, 5 Vout at 50 kHz.
- Low-power operation: 90-uA operating current with a shutdown current of only 1.4 uA.
- Smallest solution size: Synchronized switching frequency up to 1.1-MHz and small SON package with integrated diode, high and low-side FETs result in a 20 mm2 board space savings compared to competitive products.
Availability and pricing
The TPS54061 is available in volume now from TI and authorized distributors in a 3-mm x 3-mm SON PowerPad" package. Suggested resale pricing is $1.65 in 1,000-unit quantities. The TPS54061EVM-142 evaluation module (EVM) operates from an 8-V to 60-V input (24-V nominal) and provides a 3.3-V output at 200mA.
Find out more about TI's point-of-load solutions for industrial and smart grid design challenges:
- TI's recently announced LM5017 100-V, 600-mA synchronous step-down regulator with integrated FETs requires no external loop compensation.
- The following easy-to-use evaluation modules for industrial point-of-load applications can be ordered through TI eStore":
- TPS54062 50-mA synchronous evaluation module
- TPS54060 500-mA, 60-V evaluation module
- LM5017 600-mA, 100-V DC/DC evaluation module
- TPS54160 1.5-A, 60-V evaluation module
- TPS54260 2.5-A, 60-V evaluation module
- TPS7A4001 50-mA, 100-V LDO evaluation module
- TI's SIMPLESWITCHER® power converters support input voltages greater than 75V.
- New Motor Drive and Control Solutions website.
- Download TI's Smart Grid Solutions Guide, which includes TI analog and embedded products to meet your design requirements.
About Texas Instruments (TXN)
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
SWIFT, SIMPLESWITCHER, WEBENCH, MSP430, C5000, Stellaris and PowerPad are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All trademarks and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated