KBR Building Group to Construct The Premier, a High-Rise Residential Tower, in Silver Spring, Md.
HOUSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- KBR (NYSE: KBR) announced today that KBR Building Group has been awarded a contract by Guardian Realty Investors to construct The Premier, a high-rise residential tower in Silver Spring, Md., designed by WDG Architects.
KBR Building Group will provide construction management services for the 14-story building which is targeted for LEED certification. The Premier will house 160 units with high-end features such as stainless steel appliances, granite countertops and wide plank flooring. Situated between two commercial office buildings, The Premier will offer six levels of parking including two below grade. Amenities include bike storage with changing room, rooftop terrace, lounging clubroom and ground-floor retail.
The Premier will be a great addition to the vibrant downtown Silver Spring community, and we are excited to be a part of it, said Philip Southerland, President, KBR Building Group. Our solid reputation for delivering top-quality, high-rise residential and mixed-use construction projects on time and within budget has made KBR Building Group the preferred contractor for these types of projects in Metropolitan Washington. Clients appreciate our ability to help them define a project scope and schedule that meets their needs through our comprehensive preconstruction services.
Construction is scheduled to start in July 2012, with project delivery anticipated in Winter 2013.
KBR is a global engineering, construction and services company supporting the energy, hydrocarbon, government services, minerals, civil infrastructure, power, industrial, and commercial markets. For more information, visit www.kbr.com.
- KBR Building Group, headquartered in Charlotte, N.C., is a diversified construction services company serving industrial, commercial, healthcare and institutional clients in the Southeast, Mid-Atlantic and Southwest regions of the United States. Known for its outstanding safety record, KBR Building Group is the exclusive commercial construction arm of parent company, KBR.
- Guardian Realty Investors, LLC operates a private institutional real estate investment trust and investment vehicles that own approximately 50 buildings in Washington, D.C., Suburban Maryland (Montgomery and Prince Georges Counties, Columbia and Towson), and Virginia (Arlington, Fairfax County, Virginia Beach and Norfolk). The Firm has been acquiring, developing, financing, leasing and managing buildings for over 45 years.
- KBR Building Group has solid experience in building high-rise residential and mixed-use facilities throughout Metropolitan Washington and the surrounding region.
- KBR Building Groups regional office in Vienna, Virginia, is leading construction for The Premier.
- KBR Building Group is one of only 33 firms nationwide (to date) to earn the designation, Certified Green Contractor, from the Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC).
- KBR Building Group was named the No. 1 Overall Best Places to Work by the Washington Business Journal in 2011 (Large Business/Non-local headquarters category). Regionally, the company has been recognized as Southeast Contractor of the Year by Engineering News-Record (ENR).
- Residents will be able to select from a mix of studio units to two-bedroom apartments, with 20 reserved for Montgomery Countys Moderately Priced Dwelling Unit (MPDU) rental program. Roughly half of the units will offer a balcony in addition to an interior fifth-floor courtyard designed to provide dual sunlight exposure for central units.
- The Premier will open onto the forthcoming Fenton Street extension which will feature a unique "public arts plaza" designed by local artist Martha Jackson-Jarvis. The main feature of the plaza is a 75-foot "wave wall," a sort of flowing mosaic sculpture of varied textures that will "undulate like waves." Rounding out the space is a second, smaller mosaic wall, along with a series of three-dimensional sculptures. A mid-block pedestrian mall will connect the plaza to nearby Georgia Avenue.
Zac Nagle, 713-753-3625
Vice President, Investor Relations and Communications
Media Relations Hotline:
Marianne Gooch, 713-753-2092
Director, Corporate Communications
Source: KBRCopyright Business Wire 2012