Con-way Inc. Announces 2012 Scholarship Winners
ANN ARBOR, MI -- (Marketwire) -- 08/27/12 -- Con-way Inc. (CNW) today announced that it has awarded nearly $200,000 in educational grants to exemplary children of its employees as part of the annual Con-way Scholarship Program.
This year's program will help support the educational aspirations of 172 new and continuing students at universities, community colleges and vocational programs throughout the U.S. Since its inception in 1991, the Con-way Scholarship Program has awarded more than $3.7 million in grants to over 1,150 recipients who have demonstrated outstanding academic, extracurricular and community achievement.
"The challenges faced by young people today to obtain advanced education -- and lay the groundwork for their futures -- are many, with the financial burden often at the top of the list," said Douglas W. Stotlar, Con-way's president and CEO. "Helping the children of our employees pursue excellence in education is consistent with our values and our culture. All of these students have demonstrated a keen desire to achieve higher ambitions through a college education. We are pleased to support their goals through this program."
For the 2012-2013 school year, the company awarded 51 scholarships to new and continuing students and renewed 121 existing grants. Recipients are full-time students with a parent who has been employed for three consecutive years by one of Con-way's three principal operating companies -- Con-way Freight, Con-way Truckload or Menlo Worldwide Logistics -- or the company's corporate and administrative organizations. Awarded students this year are pursuing majors in a variety of fields, including the arts and sciences, engineering, nursing and business management.
The Con-way Scholarship Program is administered by Scholarship America, a national nonprofit student aid organization. The grants are renewable for up to three years, or the completion of a bachelor's degree or vocational program.
The application period for 2013-2014 scholarships opens Dec. 1, 2012, with a deadline of Feb. 15, 2013. Eligible company employees can request an application for their children through the company's intranet site or their local human resources representative.
The following students who received first-time awards for the 2012-2013 award cycle are profiled on the company's website:
- Jessica Ackley , Muskegon, Mich.: Muskegon Community College
- Carissa Allen , Huntsville, Tenn.: Lincoln Memorial University
- Ethan Anderson , Morganton, N.C.: Western Carolina University
- Avery Barr , Apex, N.C.: East Carolina University
- Amanda Beistle , Brownsville, Wis.: University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Travis Bergman , Romulus, Mich.: University of Michigan
- Allison Bohm , Seymour, Ind.: Indiana University Southeast
- Stacy Brokish , Junction City, Wis.: University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point
- Lindsay Broyles , McHenry, Ill.: University of Notre Dame
- Jacquelyn Budlowski , Shelton, Conn.: University of New Haven
- Kaitlon Busser, Dixon, Ill.: Indiana University Bloomington
- Brittney Butler , Galloway, Ohio: The Ohio State University at Newark
- Andrew Calbert , Greenwood, Ind.: Ball State University
- Sarah Crowder , Canal Winchester, Ohio: West Virginia Wesleyan College
- Kara Crowe , Alcoa, Tenn.: University of Pikeville
- Arielle Dykstra , Kankakee, Ill.: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Patrick Eason , Ellabell, Ga.: Armstrong Atlantic State University
- Jessica Eisma , Ann Arbor, Mich.: University of Michigan
- Nathanial Gallo , Loveland, Colo.: University of Denver
- Richard Gaskill , Milan, Mich.: Eastern Michigan University
- Natalie Gasparowicz, Woodbridge, N.J.: Princeton University
- Gregory Gerke , Tomah, Wis.: Saint Cloud State University
- Keli Goben , Columbus, Kan.: Missouri Southern State University
- Brianna Gonzalez , Pico Rivera, Calif.: California State University, Long Beach
- Steven Graham , North Canton, Ohio: The Ohio State University-Columbus
- Margaret Grimaldi , Plainfield, Ill.: Loyola University Chicago
- Sheldon Hayes , Van Buren, Ark.: Henderson State University
- Jennifer Helton , Spokane, Wash.: Carroll College
- Shane Hill , Three Oaks, Mich.: Purdue University North Central
- Cathrine Hoffman , Angola, Ind.: Ashland University
- Shelby Huff , Joplin, Mo.: University of Arkansas
- Chase Imai , Portland, Ore.: University of Oregon
- David Johnson , Richmond, Va.: Virginia State University
- Mckinze King, Abilene, Texas: Midwestern State University
- Mariah Kline , Central City, Ky.: Madisonville Community College
- Caitlin Kurtz , Winters, Texas: Texas A&M University
- Camille Kurtz , Winters, Texas: Tarleton State University
- Austin Lemire-Baeten , Galt, Calif.: University of California, Davis
- Tucker Lloyd , Searcy Ark.: Harding University
- Bethany Longer , Reinholds, Pa.: Indiana University of Pennsylvania
- Trevor Lutzow , Rockford, Ill.: Harvard College
- Amber Maggio , Lostant, Ill.: Educators of Beauty
- Pratyusa Mukherjee, Portland, Ore.: Yale University
- John Patterson , Terre Haute, Ind.: Illinois Eastern Community College-Olney Central College
- Brittney Ramirez , Buckeye, Ariz.: Washington State University
- Emily Reed , Pleasant Hill, Mo.: Northwest Missouri State University
- Sarah Sarinana , Albuquerque, N.M.: University of New Mexico
- Natasha Tharp , Watertown, S.D.: Northern State University
- Laura Tobey , Abilene, Texas: Baylor University
- Katelyn Warner , Double Oak, Texas: Texas Christian University
- Lily Westerhoff , Worden, Mont.: Montana State University-Bozeman
Follow the company on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ConwayInc
Con-way equipment images are available at
About Con-way Inc.
Con-way Inc. is a $5.3 billion freight transportation and logistics services company headquartered in Ann Arbor, Mich. Con-way delivers industry-leading services through its primary operating companies of Con-way Freight, Con-way Truckload and Menlo Worldwide Logistics. These operating units provide high-performance, day-definite less-than-truckload (LTL), full truckload and multimodal freight transportation, as well as logistics, warehousing and supply chain management services. Con-way also operates Road Systems Inc., a trailer refurbishing and manufacturing company which supplies trailing equipment to the company's trucking fleets. Con-way Inc. and its subsidiaries operate from more than 500 locations across North America and in 20 countries. For more information about Con-way, visit www.con-way.com.
Contacts: Kemp Goldberg Partners Amber Caron (207) 773-0700 email@example.com Con-way Inc. Gary Frantz (734) 757-1558 firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: Con-way Inc.