AT&T Makes $1 Million Contribution to Governor Cuomo's Sandy Relief Organization
NEW YORK, Nov. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- AT&T (T) * today announced a $1 million contribution to New York Governor Andrew Cuomo's newly formed Empire State Relief Fund , assisting with housing relief following the storm. AT&T's contribution, together with support from several individuals and companies, will support the hardest hit areas across the region and be specifically directed at costs associated with providing long-term housing and rebuilding homes. AT&T has been working with state and city officials around the clock to restore services in affected areas and deployed charging stations to help those without power.
"AT&T thanks New York State and City officials for their leadership during this challenging time," said Marissa Shorenstein, President, AT&T New York. "New Yorkers around the state have been hit hard by Sandy and AT&T has been working closely with our leaders to ensure they have the resources to help all those in need. The Empire State Relief Fund is an important asset in taking the necessary steps to rebuild areas affected by the storm and AT&T is proud to contribute to its efforts."
AT&T recently announced a $1 million contribution to a similar nonprofit organization founded by New Jersey Governor Chris Christie.
The $2 million contributions to New York and New Jersey build on the AT&T Foundation's $250,000 grant to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief fund and $225,000 in AT&T Foundation grants to local nonprofits in the Tri-state region:
- $100,000 to the Community Food Bank of New Jersey
- $50,000 to the Food Bank for New York City
- $50,000 to Long Island Cares, Inc.
- $25,000 to the Connecticut chapter of the American Red Cross
AT&T's financial support is in addition to AT&T's broad-based storm restoration, relief and recovery efforts, which have included:
- Restoration: AT&T's disaster response team has been fully engaged and working around the clock to ensure the flow of wireless and wireline services in the affected areas. As of today, more than 99 percent of our sites are up and running across the region impacted by Sandy. Nearly 97 percent of our cell sites across New York City including in Manhattan are up and running. Updates on restoration efforts are available att.com/newsroom
- Charging Stations: AT&T worked with Mayor Bloomberg and the City of New York to deploy generator-driven charging stations and RVs with charging capabilities for New Yorkers at local food and water stations set up throughout the five boroughs. In addition, people in affected areas were invited to visit any of AT&T's approximately 400 retail store locations throughout the Northeast to charge their devices.
- Text-to-Pledge: AT&T wireless customers can make a $10 donation for Hurricane Sandy relief by texting to the following non-profit organizations:
- REDCROSS to 90999 to support the American Red Cross
- STORM to 80888 to help the Salvation Army
- HUMANE to 80888 to give to the American Humane Society
- RELIEF to 80000 to give to the Empire State Relief Fund
Customers who would like to contribute more can text up to five times for a total donation of $50. One hundred percent of any donation will be paid to the customer's designated charity and the customer will be charged for the donation via the customer's monthly AT&T bill.
- Late Payment Support: AT&T will extend the late-payment window for wireless and wireline customers who are behind, waive late payment fees and will not disconnect services because of non-payment.
- Employee Support: The AT&T Foundation administers a Disaster Relief Fund through which AT&T employees can assist fellow employees impacted by this storm and other qualified disasters. Additionally, AT&T provides employees with the ability to assist others by contributing to charities like the American Red Cross. Employees already have pledged nearly $350,000 to Sandy relief.
AT&T and the AT&T Foundation have contributed more than $6 million to American Red Cross and regional affiliates for disaster relief efforts in the past 10 years, providing support for individuals and communities impacted by hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes and other natural disasters.
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
AT&T Inc. is a premier communications holding company and one of the most honored companies in the world. Its subsidiaries and affiliates AT&T operating companies are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and around the world. With a powerful array of network resources that includes the nation's largest 4G network, AT&T is a leading provider of wireless, Wi-Fi, high speed Internet, voice and cloud-based services. A leader in mobile Internet, AT&T also offers the best wireless coverage worldwide of any U.S. carrier, offering the most wireless phones that work in the most countries. It also offers advanced TV services under the AT&T U-verse® and AT&T | DIRECTV brands. The company's suite of IP-based business communications services is one of the most advanced in the world.
Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at http://www.att.com. This AT&T news release and other announcements are available at http://www.att.com/newsroom and as part of an RSS feed at www.att.com/rss. Or follow our news on Twitter at @ATT.
© 2012 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. 4G not available everywhere. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies.
About Philanthropy at AT&T
AT&T Inc. is committed to advancing education, strengthening communities and improving lives. Through its philanthropic initiatives, AT&T has a long history of supporting projects that create learning opportunities; promote academic and economic achievement; and address community needs. In 2011, more than $115 million was contributed through corporate-, employee- and AT&T Foundation-giving programs.
SOURCE AT&T Inc.