Cisco's Elastic Packet Core Technology Enables Turkcell to Expand Its Next-Generation Mobile Internet Network
ISTANBUL, TURKEY -- (Marketwire) -- 02/25/13 -- Cisco (CSCO) announced today that Turkcell, the leading communications and technology company in Turkey with more than 35 million subscribers, has deployed the Cisco® ASR 5000 Series as the foundation for its advanced mobile Internet network. Turkcell is continuously innovating to deliver new mobile Internet services to consumers and businesses throughout Turkey.
Key Facts / Highlights
- Turkcell selected the Cisco ASR 5000 Series as its long-term Gateway GPRS Support Node (GGSN) solution. Due to increasing demands from customers, mobile operators need to deploy elastic packet core networks capable of auto-sizing in transactions, throughput and sessions over heterogeneous networks with high reliability and availability. The Cisco ASR 5000 Series solution with GGSN application has become the choice of many of the world's most innovative network operators, including Turkcell. Supported on the Cisco ASR 5000 Series, the GGSN application delivers significant throughput, call transaction rates and packet processing, along with significant memory resources.
- The Cisco GGSN application on the Cisco ASR 5000 Series is the window to the Internet and acts as the gateway between the mobile network infrastructure and the external Internet Protocol (IP)-based network. Located at the heart of the mobile packet core network, the Cisco ASR 5000 Series works in concert with the policy control system, analytics and network security to provide customers with a superior experience.
- Deploying the Cisco ASR 5000 Series provides the required foundation for Turkcell to monetize mobile data traffic. With the enablement of these solutions, Turkcell customers, both consumers and corporate, can benefit from a high-quality and highly secure mobile data network with a broad range of different services as well as charging and billing options.
- Cisco Advanced Services provided project management, network planning, system design, end-to-end systems integration and deployment at eight Turkcell locations and worked hand-in-hand with Turkcell in every step of the implementation.
The Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) predicts that the increasing popularity of powerful new mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets, along with the demand for mobile video and streamed content as well as faster mobile data speeds, will continue to fuel a major growth of mobile data traffic. According to the study, between 2012 and 2017, worldwide mobile data traffic is expected to increase 13-fold.
Ilker Kuruoz, chief Information and Communication Technologies officer, Turkcell
"With more than 35 million subscribers, Turkcell is the market leader in Turkey, one of the most competitive markets in Europe. We aim to differentiate Turkcell by continuously strengthening our network availability and capacity while providing innovative services for our customers. Working with Cisco enables Turkcell to implement new services and capabilities on the Packet Core network."
Umit Cinali, general manager, Cisco Turkey
"Mobile users in Turkey want access to email, the Internet, mobile TV, video-on-demand, instant messaging and other multimedia services through a mobile broadband connection and wish to take advantage of various charging and billing options. Cisco has been collaborating with Turkcell since the inception of mobile data services in Turkey, and we are proud that our solutions power a significant part of Turkcell's mobile data infrastructure."
- Cisco ASR 5000 Series
- Cisco ASR 5000 Series
- Information on Cisco Service Provider products and technologies
- For more information about Cisco's service provider news and activities visit the Cisco SP360 Blog or follow us on Twitter @CiscoSPMobility
- Cisco Service Provider Mobility Community
- Subscribe to Cisco's SP360 feed
Tags, Keywords: Turkcell, Cisco, Turkey, mobile data, mobile Internet, mobility, 3G, 4G, LTE, Cisco ASR 5000 Series
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
Cisco is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com. Cisco equipment in Europe is provided by Cisco Systems International B.V. and Cisco International Limited, wholly owned subsidiaries of Cisco Systems, Inc.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
Turkcell is the leading communications and technology company in Turkey, with 35.1 million subscribers as of December 31, 2012. Turkcell is a leading regional player, with market leadership in five of the nine countries in which it operates with its approximately 69.2 million subscribers as of December 31, 2012. It has become one of the first among the global operators to have implemented HSPA+. It has achieved up to 43.2 Mbps speed using the Dual Carrier technology, and is continuously working to provide the latest technology to its customers, e.g. 84 Mbps in the near future. Turkcell Superonline, a wholly owned subsidiary of Turkcell, is the one and only telecom operator to offer households fiber broadband connection at speeds of up to 1,000 Mbps in Turkey. As of December 31, 2012, Turkcell population coverage is at 99.17% in 2G and 84.02% in 3G. Turkcell reported a TRY10.5 billion (US$5.9 billion) revenue with total assets of TRY18.7 billion (US$10.5 billion) as of December 31, 2012. It has been listed on the NYSE and the ISE since July 2000, and is the only NYSE-listed company in Turkey. Read more at www.turkcell.com.tr
Contact Information: Cisco: Press Contact CEE: Judit Sinko +36 30 9493 405 firstname.lastname@example.org Analyst Relations: Carter Cromwell +1 408 526 6914 email@example.com Press Contact: Kevin Petschow (847) 678.5462 firstname.lastname@example.org