New Survey Reveals Shifting Consumer Views on Email Marketing
BlueHornet Networks releases report analyzing firsthand responses from more than 1,000 U.S. consumers
SAN DIEGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- BlueHornet Networks, Inc., a leading enterprise email service provider and business unit of Digital River, Inc. (DRIV), today released its 2013 Consumer Views of Email Marketing report: www.bluehornet.com/ConsumerViews2013. The results highlight important findings around consumer behavior and sentiment toward email marketing. The survey includes response data from a national panel of 1,000 U.S. consumers between the ages of 25 and 40 who live in urban or suburban areas.
Among the key survey findings:
- Email-enabled mobile device usage increased by eight percent since 2012, and 43 percent of consumers say they read emails most often on a mobile device.
- Sixty-three percent of consumers say they may buy from an email read on a mobile device, while the number who may unsubscribe due to poor mobile display exceeds 30 percent (graph 1).
- Nearly 84 percent of consumers report discounts as the most important reason for signing up to receive emails and 74.2 percent will redeem a discount by showing their mobile device to a cashier.
- Nearly 70 percent of consumers open emails from familiar brands whose products they already consume.
- In 2013, seven percent more consumers will consider opting down instead of unsubscribing when given the choice compared to 2012.
In addition to analyzing 2013 survey results, the report includes year-over-year comparisons of consumer research conducted by BlueHornet in 2012.
By surveying similar demographic groups and asking several of the same questions each year, weve been able to identify shifts in how consumers view email marketing, said Susan Tull, vice president of marketing for BlueHornet. By including new questions for 2013, this years report provides marketers with useful data in understanding possible future trends and behavior patterns.
To discuss the survey results in more detail, BlueHornet will host a live webinar on Thursday, Mar. 21, at 10:00 a.m. PDT/ 1:00 p.m. EDT. The webinar will showcase video interviews with consumers and highlight examples from retail email programs that support key takeaways and recommendations. Register at www.bluehornet.com/ConsumerViews2013Webinar.
BlueHornets Consumer Views of Email Marketing report was designed to give marketers added insight into:
- Email acquisition how and why consumers sign up to receive emails;
- Mobile usage and sentiment the increasing use and changing perceptions of email-enabled mobile devices;
- Email usage, engagement and purchase behavior the factors that influence engagement and conversion;
- Advanced targeting consumer trust in and perception of location-based and site behavior targeting; and
- Unsubscribing why consumers are more likely to unsubscribe and opt down.
About BlueHornet Networks, Inc.
BlueHornet Networks helps companies do email marketing differently. The worlds most talked-about brands partner with us to turn customers into raving fans. They rely on BlueHornets powerful, yet simple-to-use email technology, unique Support² service model, and proactive inbox deliverability management to rise above the noise and put their messages everywhere their customers are whenever they want it. Founded in 2000, BlueHornet is headquartered in San Diego, Calif., and is a business unit of Digital River, Inc., the revenue growth experts in global cloud commerce. For more details, visit www.bluehornet.com, follow @bluehornetemail on Twitter or call 866-586-3755.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/multimedia/home/20130314006242/en/
Digital River, Inc.
Kristin McKenzie, 952-253-1234
Associate Director of Corporate Communications
Investor Relations Contact:
Ed Merritt, 952-225-3362
VP, Corporate Development, Treasury and Investor Relations
Source: Digital River, Inc.Copyright Business Wire 2013