The VIKINGS Are Coming...Exclusively to Amazon’s LOVEFiLM
- #1 NEW CABLE SERIES OF THE YEAR IN THE U.S. TO PREMIERE ON LOVEFiLM INSTANT IN UK AND GERMANY -
SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Amazons LOVEFiLM, along with MGM Television ( MGM (MGM) ), has today announced the premiere of the highly-rated and critically acclaimed epic U.S. television series VIKINGS, exclusively on LOVEFiLM Instant in the UK and Germany, making the streaming service the first and only place to watch the hit series in these countries.
From May 24th, 2013, members of LOVEFiLM Instant in the UK will be able to feast on all nine episodes of the Norse action-drama at once in full high-definition.
Starring Travis Fimmel (The Beast, The Experiment), Golden Globe winner Gabriel Byrne (The Usual Suspects, Millers Crossing) and Katheryn Winnick (Love and Other Drugs, Bones), VIKINGS chronicles the epic adventures of notorious Norse hero Ragnar Lothbrok (Fimmel), a Viking warrior who yearns to explore and raid the distant shores of the ocean. VIKINGS also stars George Blagden (Wrath of the Titans), Jessalyn Gilsig (Glee), Gustaf Skarsgard (The Way Back), and Clive Standen (Camelot).
Created and written by Michael Hirst one of the premier historical story-tellers in the industry (Academy Award-winning film Elizabeth; and the Emmy and Golden Globe nominated series The Tudors), VIKINGS is a tale of warfare, sex, bloodshed, ambition, family and brotherhood. The epic drama is the #1 new cable series of the year in the U.S., where it airs on HISTORY.
Chris Bird, Director, Film Strategy at LOVEFiLM, said:
As the first time a TV series has arrived on LOVEFiLM Instant before airing on traditional broadcasting platforms, this is an incredibly exciting landmark in our history. We are serious about securing the best film and TV entertainment for our members and this demonstrates how content creators view LOVEFiLM as an effective broadcasting medium for their high-quality and premium entertainment.
Chris Ottinger, President, International Television Distribution and Acquisitions, said:
MGM Television is thrilled to bring the epic #1 new cable series in the U.S., VIKINGS, to Amazons LOVEFiLM members for their first-ever, exclusive streaming experience in the United Kingdom and Germany. We are always identifying exciting, alternative distribution platforms for our premium content across the globe and are looking forward to captivating new audiences with VIKINGS through LOVEFiLM.
VIKINGS will premiere on LOVEFiLM Instant in the UK on May 24th,2013 and Germany on June 15th, 2013 and will be available exclusively on the streaming service in both countries. MGM Television is serving as the international distributor in all markets outside of the U.S., Ireland and Canada.
LOVEFiLM Instant is available on PC, Mac or via Nintendo Wii and Wii U, Microsoft Xbox 360, Sony PlayStation 3, Kindle Fire HD and Kindle Fire, Apple iPad and a growing number of Internet-connected TV sets and Blu-ray players, giving members immediate access to a huge range of the latest films and premium TV shows from as little as £4.99 a month.
- LOVEFiLM is an Amazon (AMZN) company and is the leading European film and TV series subscription service with over 2 million members in the UK, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, and Norway
- LOVEFiLM has signed a number of film and TV content deals with major studios including Miramax, Twentieth Century Fox, NBC Universal, Marvel, Sony Pictures, Warner Bros., Disney, ABC (ABCZF.PK), BBC (BBCN), ITV, Channel 4, STUDIOCANAL and eOne
- LOVEFiLM members can enjoy the benefits of DVDs and Blu-rays delivered straight to their door with LOVEFiLM By Post giving them access to more than 70,000 titles and the very latest new releases
- LOVEFiLM Instant is available on over 280 Internet-enabled devices including PCs, PlayStation 3, iPad, Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii and Wii U, plus a growing number of Blu-Ray players and Internet-connected TVs including Sony, Samsung and LG
- LOVEFiLM is available for one low monthly price with no late fees. Packages start from £4.99
- LOVEFiLM offers a range of video games rental options in the UK market to support gaming across Xbox 360, Xbox, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2, Wii and DS
- For additional information including a breakdown of packages visit www.lovefilm.com
About Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc.
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. is a leading entertainment company focused on the production and distribution of film and television content globally. The company owns one of the worlds deepest libraries of premium film and television content. In addition, MGM has investments in domestic and international television channels, including MGM-branded channels. For more information, visit www.mgm.com.
Vikings transports us to the brutal and mysterious world of Ragnar Lothbrok (Travis Fimmel), a Viking warrior and farmer who yearns to exploreand raidthe distant shores across the ocean. His ambition puts him at odds with local chieftain Earl Haraldson (Gabriel Byrne), who insists on sending his raiders to the impoverished east rather than the uncharted west. When Ragnar teams up with his boat builder friend Floki (Gustaf Skarsgard) to craft a new generation of intrepid ships capable of conquering the rough northern seas, the stage is set for conflict.
But for all its warfare and bloodshed, Vikings is also a story of family and brotherhood, capturing the love and affection between Ragnar and his wife, Lagertha (Katheryn Winnick), a respected warrior in her own right. It is the tale of Ragnars brother Rollo (Clive Standen), a fierce fighter who simmers with jealousy; of Earl Haraldsons wife Siggy (Jessalyn Gilsig), a dutiful beauty who may be less than loyal; and of the monk Athelstan (George Blagden), whose Christian morals clash with the Vikings pagan society. As ambition and innovation rattle a civilization, these characters will be put to the testand their way of life will never be the same again.
Vikings was created and written by Michael Hirst (Elizabeth, The Tudors).
Media Hotline, 206-266-7180
Kristin Cotich, 310-449-3606
Rubenstein Communications for MGM
Katie Schroeder, 212-843-8036
Source: Amazon.com, Inc.Copyright Business Wire 2013