Fairchild Semiconductor’s Next Generation TinyBuck™ Point of Load Regulators Deliver up to 15A Output Current with 96 Percent Full Load Efficiency
Small Footprint Solution Offers Improved Thermal Performance and System Robustness
SAN JOSE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Power supply designers for server, tablet, notebook, telecom, gaming and general purpose point of load (POL) regulation applications are constantly looking for ways to improve efficiency in their designs in order to meet energy standards, extend battery life and reduce total cost of ownership. To help designers meet this challenge, Fairchild Semiconductor (NYSE: FCS) developed the next generation TinyBuck" regulator family, consisting of integrated POL regulators that incorporate a constant on-time PWM controller and driver with high-side and low-side MOSFETs.
The FAN23xx family enables end-user applications to achieve significantly higher efficiency over a very wide load range. This is achieved through multiple optimizations including:
- Fine tuned gate drive circuitry with optimized gate drive current and dead times for each specific part number giving two percent higher peak efficiency compared to competitive solutions.
- Constant on-time architecture with pulse frequency modulation (PFM) for highest light load efficiencies.
Additional optimizations help to improve thermal performance and system robustness:
- Reduced switch node ringing and optimized wide duty cycle achieved by leveraging Fairchilds PowerTrench® MOSFETs with Shielded Gate technology.
- Advanced packaging technology to minimize parasitic inductance and resistance, achieving superior thermal performance.
TinyBuck regulators have the capability of running up to a 1.5MHz switching frequency, enabling customers to achieve high efficiency while reducing the number of inductor and capacitor (LC) components needed. Devices in the family can achieve the same efficiency as equivalent discrete solutions running at half the switching frequency.
The FAN2306, for example, can deliver 92.5 percent efficiency at full load, 12V input, 1.2V output @ 500KHz switching frequency while using a 1.2µH inductor. The same device can be used at the same duty cycle, @ 1Mhz, and achieve 90% efficiency using 0.56µH inductor. A single footprint for the 6A, 10A and 15A devices provides flexibility, allowing designers to scale the current level of their system without changing their board layout.
Additionally, the next generation TinyBuck regulator family is supported by an online design tool providing designers a simple, easy-to-use tool that enhances their design and improves time to market.
- 4A, 6A, 10A, and 15A devices
VIN = 4.5V 15V
- External 5V bias required
- VIN range of 4.5V 15V
- Integrated linear regulator for single voltage (+5V & +12V typ) operation
- VIN range of 4.5V - 5.5V & 7V 15V
- Integrated linear regulator for single voltage (+12V) operation
- VIN range of 7V 15V
- Tracking operation for DDR Termination (Vtt)
VIN= 4.5V 24V
- External 5V bias required
- VIN range of 4.5V 24V
- Integrated linear regulator for single voltage (+5V, +12V & +19V typ) operation
- VIN range of 4.5V - 5.5V & 7V 24V
- Minimizes external component count for reduced BOM cost & improved system reliability
- Constant on-time controller with PFM mode
- Single footprint (5mm x 5.5mm PQFN 34L) compatibility for all devices
- Compatible with all output capacitor types (MLCC, electrolytic capacitors, etc.)
Fairchild is committed to helping designers meet engineering challenges through technology and process advancements that result in increased performance and functional integration as well as design support resources that minimize components while reducing engineering time.
Packaging and Pricing Information (in US 1,000 quantity pieces):
|Device||Price (US $ in 1,000 Piece Quantities)||Datasheet|
For information on other products, design tools and sales contacts, please visit: http://www.fairchildsemi.com.
About Fairchild Semiconductor:
Fairchild Semiconductor global presence, local support, smart ideas. Fairchild delivers energy-efficient, easy-to-use and value-added semiconductor solutions for power and mobile designs. We help our customers differentiate their products and solve difficult technical challenges with our expertise in power and signal path products. Please contact us on the web at http://www.fairchildsemi.com.
Follow us on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/FairchildSemi
View product and company videos, listen to podcasts and comment on our blog @ http://engineeringconnections.com/blog/
Visit us on Facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/FairchildSemiconductor
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/multimedia/home/20130717005030/en/
Paul R. Hughes, 1-800-341-0392 X 3110
Public Relations Manager
Source: Fairchild SemiconductorCopyright Business Wire 2013