Cook County State’s Attorney, Motorola Solutions, JCPenney and Others Join Together to Fight Organized Crime
Motorolas Real-Time Crime Center solution assists with prevention, investigation, arrest and prosecution of organized financial and retail crimes in new strategic operations center
NORTH RIVERSIDE, Ill.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Motorola Solutions Inc. (NYSE: MSI) is combining its public safety and retail technology to assist the Cook County Regional Organized Crime (CCROC) task force in ongoing efforts to combat organized crime, including retail theft. The National Retail Federation estimates businesses are losing up to $30 billion each year to organized retail crime. CCROC is a task force of law enforcement and retail partners formed by the States Attorneys Office in 2010 to battle the escalating crimes of organized retail theft and fencing in the Chicago metropolitan area. CCROC is unveiling a new strategic operations training center, which will serve as the main crime information hub for the task force. JCPenney is donating the 5,500 square-foot facility located in the North Riverside , Ill. Mall, which will house law enforcement offices for various police departments, government agencies and retailers for the purpose of hands-on training and collaboration.
The center will utilize technology from Motorolas Real-Time Crime Center solution, which was introduced earlier this year, to bring together streaming video, incident and criminal complaints, access to arrest records, photographs, multi-media inputs and more. All this data which currently resides in separate databases can be integrated together by CCROC to provide crime solving intelligence in seconds instead of hours or even days as done today. The Real-Time Crime Center solution correlates the data into intelligence to help curb crime as it happens, aid in longer-term investigations and potentially increase both arrest and prosecution rates. Situational awareness made available with Motorolas Real-Time Crime Center solution is made actionable with the integration of a radio console to enable real-time direct voice communications with officers in the field and real-time video streaming to a vehicle or handheld device over existing carrier or private wireless networks.
Stolen merchandise such as razors, alcohol, baby formula or cologne is typically fenced through brick and mortar businesses or online. Shutting down these operations is often a time-consuming and difficult process. With the help of the Real-Time Crime Center solution, retailers and law enforcement officers can work together quickly and easily to apprehend the boosters who steal from the stores as well as identify and shut down large fencing organizations and criminal enterprises.
- Motorolas Real-Time Crime Center solution allows law enforcement officers to approach an incident armed with more operational intelligence than ever before. Inputs from multiple data sources such as video, sensors, alarms, computer-aided dispatch (CAD) and records are unified to deliver one operational view.
- The Real-Time Crime Center solution helps increase situational awareness and direct deployment of resources. Analysts at the center can see calls coming in and pull up video images from the scene immediately. As officers are responding, video footage and still images can be sent to their vehicles providing a description of the suspects and potential whereabouts. This speeds response time and gives officers a head start before they arrive on scene.
- With the Real-Time Crime Center solution, CCROC will be able to expediently capture and provide field officers and investigators with instant, comprehensive information to help identify suspects, crime patterns and prevent emerging crime. Analysts can obtain substantial information on suspects, including pictures, addresses and other identifiers to provide quicker apprehension, arrest and prevention of other crimes by these offenders.
- CCROCS purpose is to provide a communication and operational structure to reduce organized crime. Traditionally, law enforcement and retail organizations have worked independently of each other. The Real-Time Crime Center solution enables CCROC to work closely with retailers on a common goal which positively affects the outcome of investigations, the community and potentially saves retailers money.
- CCROC members at-large include multiple police agencies throughout Illinois, national retailers and banks. The organizations goal is to add full-time analysts to improve collaboration and share appropriate intelligence among all jurisdictions, retailers and financial institutions.
- The strategic operations training center is located within a private space at the North Riverside, Ill. Mall JCPenney location. JCPenney donated the previously unused space for the project, making it possible to house pivotal crime information in one central location.
Anita Alvarez, Cook County States Attorney
Here in Cook County we have been working in unprecedented ways to increase the investigation and prosecution of organized retail theft and this new operations center is going to provide us with an extraordinary opportunity to continue to bridge the gap between law enforcement and retailers. Thanks to the generous commitment of our retail partners, we are a model for the nation in battling this type of crime that has such a menacing impact on the average consumer.
Greg Billings, vice president, Motorola Solution Sales and Professional Services
The rise of organized crime is finding its way into retail settings and expanding into financial exploitation of customers and consumers. The integration of Motorolas Real-Time Crime Center solution in the CCROC initiative demonstrates how public/private partnerships can help combat this problem.
Stan Welch, vice president, JCPenney Loss Prevention
Were proud to be a founding partner of the CCROC task force, and were pleased to donate space for the operations training center. The center is an integral tool in derailing organized crime, and allows all participants to collect and share information like never before.
Facebook: Motorola Solutions
About Motorola Solutions
Motorola Solutions is a leading provider of mission-critical communication solutions and services for enterprise and government customers. Through leading-edge innovation and communications technology, it is a global leader that enables its customers to be their best in the moments that matter. Motorola Solutions trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker MSI. To learn more, visit www.motorolasolutions.com. For ongoing news, please visit our media center or subscribe to our news feed.
MOTOROLA, MOTO, MOTOROLA SOLUTIONS and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC and are used under license. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. ©2013 Motorola Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Industry Analyst Relations Contact:
Source: Motorola Solutions Inc.Copyright Business Wire 2013