- Bloomberg reports Samsung (SSNLF.PK) is close to buying German OLED materials/tech provider Novaled for $200M+. Novaled's CMO says "negotiations are ongoing."
- Samsung invested in Novaled in 2011, and the companies signed a licensing/materials purchasing deal in 2012.
- Novaled claims its PIN OLED doping tech allows for fewer manufacturing process steps, low driving voltages, and greater design flexibility.
- Universal Display (OLED -9.2%) shares aren't taking the news well. Universal remains very dependent on Samsung's materials purchases and (fixed-fee) licensing payments for now. It's counting on expected manufacturing ramps from AU Optronics, Innolux, and LG Display, among others, to help lower its dependence.
- Universal's Q2 report arrives on Aug. 8.
Universal Display tumbles on report Samsung buying Novaled
Jul 29 2013, 13:41 ET