- Facebook's (FB +5.5%) initiative, which has been in trial mode, gives mobile game developers free ads and other promotional support in exchange for a revenue cut.
- Facebook exec Dan Morris: "The idea is not to show one game to all users but to ... match users with the games they like."
- Facebook has already been successful at promoting games and other mobile apps via its app install ads.
- The service, which could give smaller developers more promotional reach, is arguably a negative for Zynga (ZNGA -1.2%), which depends a lot on its ability to cross-promote games to users playing other Zynga titles.
- Zynga has been gradually ramping its own publishing efforts. Activision (ATVI - previous) and Glu Mobile (GLUU - previous) also have mobile publishing ambitions.
- Previous: Facebook closing in on IPO price.
Facebook officially launches mobile game publishing effort
Jul 30 2013, 12:26 ET