Microsoft shares FY13 Surface, mobile licensing figures in 10-K

FY13 (ended June 30) Surface revenue totaled $853M, Microsoft discloses in its 10-K. As Engadget observes, that's less than the $900M write-down recently taken on Surface RT inventories.

"Windows Phone" revenue rose $1.2B Y/Y; Android royalties likely made up the lion's share of this figure. Microsoft (MSFT) gets sizable per-unit royalties from Samsung, HTC, ZTE, and other top Android OEMs, and Android sales figures speak for themselves.

Microsoft previously stated "Windows Phone" revenue rose by $222M in FQ4.

Advertising spend rose by $898M Y/Y thanks to Windows 8/Surface marketing efforts.

Separately, Asus has joined Samsung in criticizing Windows RT's prospects. The #5 PC maker says it will focus on Intel-based (INTC) Win. 8 systems.

From other sites
Comments (9)
  • rjgood
    , contributor
    Comments (233) | Send Message
    Very interesting.

It is possible that $222M was the windows OS phone revenue, where the extra $1B was android revenue.

Boy I wish I was smart enough to corner my competition's partners into giving me $4B per year. Very savvy.
    30 Jul 2013, 07:17 PM Reply Like
  • Yokyok
    , contributor
    Comments (330) | Send Message
    smart and savvy yeah.
    and then there's those 4 million rt tablets nobody wants.
    30 Jul 2013, 07:39 PM Reply Like
  • toraji
    , contributor
    Comments (819) | Send Message

if you get hit in a corner you feel the pain but when you come back that pain is gone

For me it was very clear the RT's did not do well enough because of all the negative reviews from MS haters like yourself but round two will be a different round

You will see MS is not to fool around with, once the elephant moves it is unstoppable

30 Jul 2013, 07:54 PM Reply Like
  • wigit5
    , contributor
    Comments (4334) | Send Message
    As much as I love MSFT... RT will rank up there in MSFTs biggest all time blunders...
    30 Jul 2013, 08:31 PM Reply Like
  • rjgood
    , contributor
    Comments (233) | Send Message
    Maybe true, but RT is genius in architecture and implementation. RT in some form will succeed windows & be copied by all competing operating systems over time. Just not today.

Very unfortunate, being a techie businessperson that sees how amazing it is.
    30 Jul 2013, 09:09 PM Reply Like
  • russellm454
    , contributor
    Comments (128) | Send Message
    I love my RT and use it as my main machine at home. I'm not just a novice I've been in the IT industry for 26 years. RT isn't as powerful as Surface Pro but It's better than any Apple or Android tablet. Most haters simply never touched one or gave it an honest look.
    31 Jul 2013, 12:49 AM Reply Like
  • toraji
    , contributor
    Comments (819) | Send Message

RT might look like a blunder but in my opinion it is just round 1. MS had to keep the prices high so OEMS could build stuff cheaper.

I own an RT and a Pro and both are fantastic products and do their work on every job I go to. RT was shot down by the media before it actually hit the shelves.

The OEMS had their chance to perform accordingly and some even let the ball drop completely by dropping the RT.

MS can now produce at lower prices with better hardware without OEMS being angered about it....

Round 2 will start in a few months and I am curious to see what is gonna happen

I cant wait for the haswell experience so the sooner they come out with new stuff the better

31 Jul 2013, 04:06 PM Reply Like
  • Geoff MacDonald
    , contributor
    Comments (12) | Send Message
    more advertising spent than revenue collected. Even blackberry got that right.
    30 Jul 2013, 09:38 PM Reply Like
  • Sam Liu
    , contributor
    Comments (3861) | Send Message
    How is Microsoft able to get royalties from Cn ZTE when Qualcomm can't?
    30 Jul 2013, 11:58 PM Reply Like