- FY13 (ended June 30) Surface revenue totaled $853M, Microsoft discloses in its 10-K. As Engadget observes, that's less than the $900M write-down recently taken on Surface RT inventories.
- "Windows Phone" revenue rose $1.2B Y/Y; Android royalties likely made up the lion's share of this figure. Microsoft (MSFT) gets sizable per-unit royalties from Samsung, HTC, ZTE, and other top Android OEMs, and Android sales figures speak for themselves.
- Microsoft previously stated "Windows Phone" revenue rose by $222M in FQ4.
- Advertising spend rose by $898M Y/Y thanks to Windows 8/Surface marketing efforts.
- Separately, Asus has joined Samsung in criticizing Windows RT's prospects. The #5 PC maker says it will focus on Intel-based (INTC) Win. 8 systems.
Microsoft shares FY13 Surface, mobile licensing figures in 10-K
Jul 30 2013, 18:59 ET