- "Mass production" of an iPad Mini (AAPL +0.9%) sporting a retina display made by Samsung (SSNLF.PK), Sharp (SHCAY.PK), and LG Display (LPL) will reportedly start in Q4. No word on whether the device will also launch in the quarter, or in Q1 2014, as others (I, II) have suggested.
- 9to5 Mac just reported iOS 7 SDK code indicates a non-retina Mini is also on tap. Will Apple offer a non-retina model for less than $300 to take on cheaper, share-gaining, 7" Android tablets?
- Recent reports have also indicated Apple, in spite of its obvious differences with Samsung, plans to continue using the company as a chip foundry partner (along with TSMC), and will rely on it to supply thin LCD glass.
- AU Optronics (AUO +3%), which (together with LG Display) supplies LCDs for the current Mini, reportedly won't be a retina Mini supplier.
- Previous: Misek hikes PT to $540