- The Global X MLP & Energy Infrastructure ETF (MLPX) begins trading. With expense ratio of just 0.45%, it's the cheapest MLP-related fund out there (after taxes) thanks to its structure as a Regulated Investment Corporation instead of a C-Corp.
- Avoiding this double-taxation saves on costs, but its holdings cannot be 100% MLPs - it also owns companies involved in pipeline, storage, and transportation of energy products. Top holdings include Enbridge (9%), Transcanada (9%), Kinder Morgan (9%), Williams COS (8%), and Spectra (7%).
- One C-Corp competitor - the Alerian MLP ETF (AMLP) - has a nominal expense ratio of 0.85% that ends up being closer to 5% once deferred tax liability is added (it's listed in the fees as "other expenses.").
- Another MLP ETF with limited MLP exposure is the actively-managed First Trust North American Energy Infrastructure Fund (EMLP) with expense ratio of 0.95%.
- Global X has a C-Corp MLP ETF (MLPA) with nominal expense ratio of 0.45% that rises to 3.52% after the tax liability.
- Related ETFs/ETNs: AMJ, MLPI, MLPN, YMLP, MLPL, ATMP, AMU, IMLP, MLPG, YMLI, MLPY, MLPW, MLPJ, MLPS.
From other sites
at Nasdaq.com (Jan 12, 2015)
at Nasdaq.com (Dec 31, 2014)
at Nasdaq.com (Dec 16, 2014)
at Nasdaq.com (Dec 1, 2014)
ETF Screener: Search and filter by asset class, strategy, theme, performance, yield, and much more
ETF Performance: View ETF performance across key asset classes and investing themes
ETF Investing Guide: Learn how to build and manage a well-diversified, low cost ETF portfolio
ETF Selector: An explanation of how to select and use ETFs