- Q2 data "paints a depressing picture of the progress of economic rebalancing in China," says the Peterson Institute's Nicholas Borst, giving the country's efforts an "F."
- Particularly notable on the downside is residential real estate investment now outpacing overall GDP growth by a whopping 12 percentage points. "Given persistent reports of excess housing stock, it seems unlikely that this level of spending is justified by actual demand."
- On the positive side: Growth in the service sector (8.3%) began to outpace that of the industrial sector (7.6%) - a trend if continued would have services eventually occupying a more "normal" share of the overall economy.
- China stock ETFs: FXI, GXC, PGJ, YAO, FCHI, PEK, CAF, YXI, XPP, FXP, MCHI, YINN, YANG, TCHI, CHXF, KFYP.
- Sector ETFs: Real estate (TAO), Retail (CHIQ), Infrastructure (CHXX), Industrials (CHII), Financials (CHIX).
China's rebalancing efforts get an "F"
Aug 7 2013, 12:22 ET