- BMO Capital's Lana Chan plugs Fed rate hikes into her models and raises price targets on eight regional banks. Her assumptions are rate hikes beginning in mid-2015 and totaling 100 bps by the end of the year, with another 100 bps of hikes by the middle of 2016 - a total off 200 basis points over one year.
- Hold-rated BB&T (BBT +0.3%) is upped to $40 from $38, Comerica (CMA -0.2%) to $42 from $41, PNC Financial (PNC -0.7%) to $78 from $76, SunTrust (STI -0.3%) to $36 from $35, U.S. Bancorp (USB -0.4%) to $39 from $38, and Wells Fargo (WFC -0.1%) to $47 from $46.
- M&T Bank (MTB -0.7%) - still awaiting approval of its buyout of Hudson City Bancorp (HCBK -0.6%) - is lifted to $124 from $117.
- Buy-rated Fifth Third (FITB -1.3%) with price target $22, KeyCorp (KEY -0.4%) with price target $14, and Zions (ZION -1.7%) with price target $33 receive no boost, but Regions Financial (RF -0.1%) is lifted to $13 from $12.
- Many banks disclose their own analysis - but these (probably like Chan's) assume a "parallel" increase in rates in which the yield curve shape doesn't change. By their own analysis, Zions see itself benefitting more than its competitors, with net interest income to rise 18.1% on a 200 bp parallel increase in rates.
- Regional bank ETFs: IAT, KBE, KRE, RKH, QABA, KRU, KRS, KBWR.
Rising rates mean hiked price targets for regional banks
From other sites
at MarketRealist.com (Mar 27, 2015)
at MarketRealist.com (Mar 26, 2015)
at 4-traders.com (Mar 25, 2015)
at Benzinga.com (Feb 12, 2015)
at Nasdaq.com (Feb 10, 2015)
ETF Screener: Search and filter by asset class, strategy, theme, performance, yield, and much more
ETF Performance: View ETF performance across key asset classes and investing themes
ETF Investing Guide: Learn how to build and manage a well-diversified, low cost ETF portfolio
ETF Selector: An explanation of how to select and use ETFs