- The warning signs have been out for a few weeks, but Wal-Mart's (WMT) Q2 report confirms that consumers in the U.S. have been pulling back.
- Though the excuses from companies vary - weather, auto purchases, payroll tax hike - the trend toward softer discretionary spending on lower traffic remains consistent.
- Sector alert: In addition to missing analyst estimates, Wal-Mart also showed a jump in inventory levels in Q2 and warned on emerging markets.
- On watch: Costco (COST), PriceSmart (PSMT), Target (TGT)
- Related ETFs: XRT, RTH, PMR, RETL.
From other sites
Video at CNBC.com (Thu, 9:00AM)
at CNBC.com (Thu, 6:00AM)
Video at CNBC.com (Wed, 4:09PM)
Video at CNBC.com (Wed, 3:24PM)
Video at CNBC.com (Fri, 1:08PM)
ETF Screener: Search and filter by asset class, strategy, theme, performance, yield, and much more
ETF Performance: View ETF performance across key asset classes and investing themes
ETF Investing Guide: Learn how to build and manage a well-diversified, low cost ETF portfolio
ETF Selector: An explanation of how to select and use ETFs