- Anything paying income is again being particularly hard hit by the rise in Treasury yields (the 10-year now at a 2-year high of 2.8%).
- Selections in mREITs (REM -2.1%), (MORT -1.9%) include RAIT Financial Trust (RAS -4.1%) - whose IRT had an ill-timed IPO yesterday and Ellington Residential (EARN -4.8%) - the market not caring about reasonable Q2 performance, a hefty discount to book, and the launch of a repurchase program. Other mREITs: CYS Investments (CYS -3.6%), Apollo (AMTG -3%), Newcastle (NCT -5%), Invesco (IVR -2.7%), Arlington Asset (AI -1.2%). A leveraged ETF play: MORL.
- Hanging in there relatively well are the BDCs: Fifth Street (FSC -1.3%), Triangle (TCAP -1%), MCG (MCGC -1.2%), Hercules (HTGC -1.2%), Ares (ARCC -0.3%).
- BDC ETFs: BDCS, BDCL, BIZD.
- In emerging markets fixed income, a trader takes note of EDD, a closed-end fund now trading at more than a 15% discount to NAV.
- Emerging market bond ETFs: EMB, LEMB, PCY, EMLC, ELD, PFEM, EBND, VWOB.
Income stocks hit hard by rising yields
Aug 15 2013, 11:12 ET