- A quiet Friday on Chinese markets exploded into life after a "fat finger" execution of a 7B yuan ($1.13B) order at local brokerage Everbright Securities apparently caused the Shanghai Composite Index to swing to a gain of 5.6% from a 1% within a matter of minutes.
- The trade also caused trading volumes to surge 53%.
- Things calmed down, though, and stocks closed -0.6%.
- Across Asia, sharp falls on Wall Street amid continued fears about the Fed's tapering intentions weighed on sentiment.
- Japan -0.8%, Hong Kong -0.2%, China -0.6%, India -2.3%.
- Chinese ETFs: FXI, GXC, PGJ, YAO, FCHI, PEK, CAF, YXI, XPP, FXP, MCHI, YINN, YANG, TCHI, CHXF, KFYP
Fat finger roils Chinese stocks
Aug 16 2013, 04:09 ET