- Merck (MRK -0.8%) temporarily suspends sales of the beta-agonist Zilmax in the U.S.
- The move comes on the heels of Tyson's (TSN -0.1%) decision to discontinue purchases of cattle which have been fed the supplement.
- MRK has laid out a five-step plan to address allegations and suggestions that ZIlmax may be causing cattle to have difficulty walking.
- Sales of Zilmax were $159M last year.
- Eli Lilly (LLY -0.9%) markets a less potent beta-agonist called Optaflexx.
Merck suspends Zilmax sales amid cattle mobility concerns
Aug 16 2013, 13:30 ET