- Silvio Berlusconi has threatened to bring down Italy's government, of which his PDL party is a member, if he is expelled from the country's Senate following his conviction for fraud.
- While the ruling foresees such an exit for Berlusconi, a parliamentary vote is required.
- The PDL has also said that the coalition's survival depends on the repeal of an unpopular property tax. However, Prime Minister Enrico Letta has said he won't support any measure that would increase Italy's debt. He has also warned that the collapse of the government would undermine the economy.
- Shares are -0.2%, while yields on 10-year Italian bonds are +4 bps at 4.23%.
- ETFs - Stock: EWI. Bonds ITLY, ITLT.
Berlusconi threatens Italy's government
Aug 19 2013, 03:31 ET