- Market recap: The S&P finished with a modest gain after four straight losses, as some major retailers posted better than expected results and Treasury yields receded from two-year highs.
- Best Buy surged 13% after posting a surprise Q2 earnings increase; Urban Outfitters (+8%) and TJX (+7%) also gained after reporting solid results.
- Uncertainty still surrounds Fed taper plans; the FOMC is due to release its latest meeting minutes on Wednesday, and the Fed will host its annual meeting of global central bankers later this week.
- Home builders also displayed relative strength following recent weakness, benefiting from easing yields.
- Crude oil futures sank 2% to settle at $104.96; gold gained 0.5% to $1,373.10.
Stocks end mixed as S&P rises, Dow slips; Best Buy surges 13%
Aug 20 2013, 16:10 ET